Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Umm, Apple boosts prices on G4 line..?!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  monokitty 
#1 ·
Apple Canada Store, the "Faster" machine is no longer a dual, but a single G4 1.25 GHz, and is now priced at $2,774.00 - the same price as the 1.6 GHz G5 entry Power Mac. Took away dual processors and added a 160 GB drive and a 128 MB video card instead, and jumped the price by a few hundred more. The only dual 1.25 GHz G4 is the "Ultimate" one which is priced at $4,761.00.

Wtf?

#3 ·
Apple only boosted the configuration which boosted the price. It can still be BTO, thus one can downgrade the components back in order to match the original $2249 price. Here's the original configuration -- build it and you shall see:

Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
2MB L3 cache/processor
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
Mac OS 9 boot supported

$2249 CDN

#4 ·
Weird.

I just tried an experiement. I customized the G4 to have 516 MB RAM, a Radeon card, no modem, 1 hard drive and the "Ultimate" machine ended up being about $2505. But when I applied the exact same configuartions to the "Faster" machine, it costs about $200 more!

#5 ·
Klattu pondered:

Weird.

I just tried an experiement. I customized the G4 to have 516 MB RAM, a Radeon card, no modem, 1 hard drive and the "Ultimate" machine ended up being about $2505. But when I applied the exact same configuartions to the "Faster" machine, it costs about $200 more!
I just tried it and it worked fine. I noticed the value being higher with 512MB ram as opposed to 256MB (you mention 516 which indicates to me you may have the RAm set differently in those two configurations, as 516 isn't a valid amount of RAM for any configuration)

:cool:

#6 ·
As you can tell from all the typos (i.e. "experiement" and "configuartions") I meant 512.

No, I had the same configuartion for both -- and I tried it a few times to make sure I wasn't mistaken -- but, when testing it now, the price for both is $2692. Damn! Shoulda made a purchase when it said $2505!

Somebody at Apple must have corrected it, like all those mistakes when G5 was first announced (i.e. mentions G3 instead of G5)

#7 ·
I tried to find product numbers for the dual 1.25 dual boots on the apple site on Wed. Instead of the MLAxxx numbers, I got a four letter code. Though something was fishy...

I was shocked, but also confused. Mid range dual boots retracted?
Glad to hear you can BTO, but I want EDUCATIONAL pricing and it doesn't apply except to standard configurations, I understand.

Does anyone know a way around this?
I mean the single 1.25 is pretty cheap, but y'know 2 is better than 1, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.