Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It says on both EveryMac.com and Apple-History.com that the 366 MHz iBook (Clamshell, FireWire) holds a maximum of 320 MB of RAM - that's the stock 64 MB on-board + 256 MB SO-DIMM.

Then I went to OWC, and under the "Clamshell" iBook category, it listed a compitable 512 MB SO-DIMM chip - that would give the iBook 576 MB of RAM - far more than the max "320 MB" listed maximum. Of course, this is a low-profile chip.

I'm guessing those 2 sites I mentioned above haven't updated their web sites, and, at the time of the iBook's first release, 512 MB S0-DIMM chips didn't exist, only 256 MB - the max at the time being 320 MB.

·
Premium Member
17,992 Posts
Yep - even the "on-the-newsstands-now" issue of MacHome (which has revamped itself nicely) repeats the 288 RAM max for the original (32meg) iBook.

Although I have seen chip vendors authorize their product (512meg) as being good for the clamshell series, I wanna hear from someone who's done it, and has proven that the extra RAM is being addressed. Would hate to drop the $, install the chip, have it appear that I have 544megs, but only 288 be truly available.

M.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Apple's standard practice for all Macs is to list the maximum density chips available at the time of the computer's manufacture.

Where higher density compatible chips come out later, Apple will revise the figure only on currently shipping models.

In other words, there are a lot of Macs that can reliably take more memory than Apple's official maximum, because Apple never revises this figure once production ends.

You should rely on reliable sources for this info; however a life-time warranty memory module vendor (like OWC) would be stupid to make this kind of stuff up, cuz they will just get the stick back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a G4 400 Yikes! machine (PCI Graphics). I tried putting a 512 MB chip in one of my slots and the machine only recognized 256. In short this model's max is 1 gig of RAM, exactly as advertised so I definitely would take a wait and see approach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.