1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well thats what they get for false advertising...
Honestly a Dual G5 is not the fastest personal computer, its fast yes but not the fastest.

I bet my 3.5Ghz Intel desktop could pack just a serious punch when placed side by side.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
this will do a lot of damage to apple's credibility. everyone had such high expectations for the G5, but truth is that it is neck and neck with the fastest pcs. i personally think that apple in it's advertising should be trumpeting the virtues of the clearly superior operating system rather than just pure processor power, which changes so frequently i don't think the average user pays attention anymore....i think that particular piece of creative is very weak and damages the apple brand. apple should yank it hear before it gets banned in north america as well...

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frankly, Apple should have been touting how absolutely AWESOME Mac OS X is all along! Yeah, we are "damned fast™" now, but even if the G5 was the fastest personal computer in July, it was not to retain that distinction as time marched onwards. We are, however, very much back in the game... well, at least the dual processor G5s are very much back in the game. Duallies are the way to go when buying a G5 at this time.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Like everybody believes everything they read and see on TV. Everybody exagerates in their advertisements. Everbody wants their product to look and sound the best in advertisements.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
No *fastest* claim is ever going to hold more than a few weeks in Moore's world :confused:

·
Registered
263 Posts
In the weasel world of advertising, Apple can say the G5 is the fastest because -- since the G5 and its closest competitors are all about the same speed -- they're *all* the fastest. At least that's the way it works in North America. They would only get in trouble here if they said they were *faster.* I'm kind of glad they got in trouble for pulling that old trick.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
"fast" is not a technical term in computing technology, so how can they be asked to provide proof, or how can their claim be disproved?
I claim "fast" is a subjective term, like "awesome" or "user-friendly".

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Apple has always maintained a Ghz to Ghz performance comparison which essentially came down to a 2 Ghz G5 will kill a 2 Ghz Pentium.

Most PC zealots I've seen typically compare PC models that are slightly configured better (faster processor, better video card, faster drives, etc.) than a stock G5 to "fluff" their claims rather than finding comparible system with similar options. They simply have abandoned the Ghz to Ghz comparison because it not longer works for them.

Who cares anyway? The fact that they are wasting resources fighting Apple's claims go so much further than just "reality distortion". Every time Apple advances their products they're losing fighting ground and it's scaring them. Microsoft is looking like driftwood compared to Apple.

Can anyone honestly remember a time when Apple had such an avalanche of software being ported to the Mac OS? There's a reason for it, I think.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Can anyone honestly remember a time when Apple had such an avalanche of software being ported to the Mac OS? There's a reason for it, I think.
exactly! they should be harping on the superior usefulness of the system, what it can do, and why it does it better. simply saying their new machine is fast is a bit banal and is not going to motivate anyone. everyone and their brother's uncle says their computers are fast, so what?

i think that with this ad apple has lost sight of the reason why people buy, use and love apple computers. it's not because they're fast. if that was the case, why not go out and buy a pc that will be almost as fast if not faster, but for a fraction of the price of a new G5. apple should also be talking about the quality of the construction of their machines over the typical pc.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
The x86 architecture, on the other hand, has been around for so long that it must be approaching some kind of "brick wall" point of diminishing returns.

I recall these predictions at the introduction of the PPC...that was what 7-8 years ago? Funny how this architecture is still "kicking and screaming" at 3+ GHz...

I do have my fingers crossed for IBM though. Let's see where they'll take the PPC.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, it's interesting that Intel is only NOW adding L3 cache to the its processors. Maybe, like Motorola did with the G4, the P4 is indeed approaching "a block of matter" harder than itself and needs a kick in the cache to keep going??

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Gerbill,

The claim that the x86 architecture is going to hit a brick wall real soon now is about as old as the claim that Apple is going to go under real soon now. AMD, with the Opteron and the Athlon 64, seems to think that the x86 architecture still has some life left in it.

Oh, and it looks like the next XBox will use a CPU designed by Microsoft and not a PowerPC CPU. It seems Microsoft is just licensing technology from IBM, not an entire CPU.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Who cares? Even if Macs were really slower than PCs in any way that matters, I'd still want a Mac.

The G5 is at the very beginning of its development cycle - what will it be a year from now? Two years?

The x86 architecture, on the other hand, has been around for so long that it must be approaching some kind of "brick wall" point of diminishing returns.

Even the rats at Microsoft are showing signs of deserting the sinking ship - the next X-Box will use a PPC processor of the same family as the G5.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Gerbill,

The claim that the x86 architecture is going to hit a brick wall real soon now is about as old as the claim that Apple is going to go under real soon now. AMD, with the Opteron and the Athlon 64, seems to think that the x86 architecture still has some life left in it.

Oh, and it looks like the next XBox will use a CPU designed by Microsoft and not a PowerPC CPU. It seems Microsoft is just licensing technology from IBM, not an entire CPU.
Maybe so. But let's root for the destruction of all things Microsoft and Intel, anyway. If we close our eyes and wish real hard, maybe it'll come true.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Britain has very strict advertising law; all claims must be both substatiated and unlikely to confuse consumers.

The ads were pre-screened, and after Apple responded to concerns, they agreed the ads could be aired. They did not dispute the measured test results themselves. In fact they found them "fair and even" comparisons with Intel computers.

However, they recieved complaints from viewers, requiring a review of the earlier decision. They then disallowed the claim because "an expert" they referred the technical documentation provided by Apple concluded "based on independent published reviews" including this one* that the G5 was as fast as the best Pentium configurations available but no faster.

They also broadly concluded that they would disallow similar claims by any computer manufacturer in the future because computer technology changes quickly.

Because of the review of the earlier decision, Intel could not claim to be the "fastest Personal Computer processor" in advertising in the UK either, even if they could provide documentation to prove it, because the 'technology changes quickly' rule would apply.

* Their expert reported that "He found that the claim was not supported by independent reviews and that at best "the G5 was generally as fast as the best Intel-based workstations currently available".

This is a direct quote from the review I linked to:
" ... we see that indeed the G5 is generally as fast as the best Intel-based workstations currently available. ..."

[ November 12, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts