Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Soooo....I was trying to clean up some uneeded files when my computer seems to have died. I was trying to make some space on my hard drive by deleting some old photos while I also chatted on msn, and surfed the net, when suddenly the msn icon bounced indicating I either had a message or alert when the computer started to make noises (just normal ones, like when it's thinking) and then suddenly the screen went black. Immediately the little sleeper light came on....the little breathing light on the front of the computer beside the latch, indicating that the computer was on, but in sleep mode. The power button wouldn't work so I disconnected the battery then reinserted it. Once I had done that, the computer just wouldn't respond at all. Nothing at all happens when I hit the power button....no fan, no screen, nothing. The sleep mode light is no longer on either.
I have a G4 ibook 12 inch with 768 mb ram (i think) and 40 gb (just ignore the computer info at the bottom of this post if there is any since I'm using a friends account).
Any suggestions on what I can do?
Thanks,
Janet

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Hi,

The first thing that comes to mind is to check your battery level and try another power cord.

My iBook did something similar to what you are describing and it turned out that the iBook was running off battery even though it was plugged in. The power cord died and I didn't notice until the iBook battery ran out of power (I didn't get a warning about my battery level either). Here is a link to trouble shoot power the adapter. They suggest unplugging the adapter from the wall for at least 60 seconds and/or trying another outlet. Worth a shot.

If you aren't covered under Apple Care you can buy one from the Apple Store, but if you read the customer reviews you can see that Apple's product is considered lousy. I've gone through one and my brother has gone through two. There are less expensive alternatives to Apple's plug, though they aren't as pretty.

It could be something else wrong with the iBook, but that is my first guess.

s.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I'll second mr.steevo's suggestion. Sounds like the AC adapter is dead and not charging your notebook. Do you see the little ring of light come on when it's plugged in? If the ring around the connector doesn't light up, then the notebook isn't getting power. Hopefully it's that and not something wrong internally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts