Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
There are kernel level issues for some older video drivers. I had to fight with this quite a bit on my iMac DV400 with rage video, so if that's your hardware and you're not up to recompiling patched kernels and reconfiguring your xorg.conf you've been forewarned ;)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried it on my PC yesterday... I actually really like it.. it's like Microsoft and apple had a child!!! its a very well done OS.. im very happy with it... so in the summer i'll build me a second PC to sit next to my G4 Tower, and my gaming PC!!! :) And it'll be running Ubuntu :D

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I hope Parallels supports Ubuntu a bit better - it's a tad slow & a pain to move the mouse out of the window since it doesn't do it smoothly like with Windows.

My dad is running it now - seems pretty good but they don't let you enable a root user - you have to run under sudo which I guess is okay - I just like having the root user.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
dona83 said:
Um Parallels is asking me what kind of Linux Ubuntu is... what's the difference?
Parallels has support built in for different flavours. I think this is why Ubuntu isn't as speedy because I had to install it as "Linux - other". I'm making an educated guess that if I was running one of the supported linux distributions like RedHat, it would be faster and able to integrate better.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Ubuntu 7.04 also works on Parallels.

There is a kernel issue when installing it which prevents it from seeing the optical drive. The work around around is to tell Parallels that you are installing Solaris. Once it is installed you can switch it to Other Linux.

It's running fine for me.

If I could get an unbranded laptop I could see myself using this on a full time basis.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried to install this Ubuntu under Parallels. But it never gets started, even choosing Solaris. Any help?

Ubuntu 7.04 also works on Parallels.

There is a kernel issue when installing it which prevents it from seeing the optical drive. The work around around is to tell Parallels that you are installing Solaris. Once it is installed you can switch it to Other Linux.

It's running fine for me.

If I could get an unbranded laptop I could see myself using this on a full time basis.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.