Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 12" G4 iBook.

I almost had to wait a whole extra day. My SO left work early, but still missed the FedEx delivery by 10 minutes. Luckily, the FedEx guy was still in the area a couple of hours later and decided to swing by our house again -- just in case.

So far, no problems using OSX. I'm probably missing out several shortcuts and such, but I was much too excited to start using my new laptop to sit down and read manuals.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Congrats! You'll no doubt come to love your Powerbook - it's an awesome machine!

·
Registered
728 Posts
congrats! guess you have airport?
me like that 12PB2.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Umm... it came with a manual? :eek: I didn't know they came with manuals. The only documentation I saw of the QuickSilver tower I'm using now was the moving of it (whatever there was) from on top of the styrofoam, to the floor, where it was tossed back in once the tower, keyboard and mouse were out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
CONGRATS on your G4 iBook, im getting one at Christmas time :D , You'll be the one I ask if there working great. Good luck with it

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
LOL

Sorry, I'm just used to calling portables Powerbooks. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
When did you order this? On Wednesday when they were announced? I should be receiving my iBook on Friday, I can hardly wait ;)

Adam

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
kps - All iBook G4s shipped with Panther pre-installed. It says so on http://www.apple.com/ibook/ . When they were announced, this was almost touted as a feature. Its the first computer from Apple to come with Panther pre-installed. The first Apple computer of the Panther age.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Duh! G4 ***iBook**...still not used to iBooks being G4. :D

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
It is the only Mac I ever remember buying that had one. All others had manuals that had to be downloaded .
My Lc475 came with an owners manual,
So did the 6100...
I'm sure that there are others as well that got a manual.

Dave :cool:

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
So how does the iBook run? Hot, cold, fast, slow? I'm really interested in how Apple handled the heat.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So how does the iBook run? Hot, cold, fast, slow? I'm really interested in how Apple handled the heat.
Hard for me to compare this to anything but Windows machines.

The iBook got warm, but not any warmer than any other laptop I've used. And I actually use this on my lap -- but then again, laptop heat seldom bothers me. I think the plastic case helps diffuse the heat a bit.

Haven't put it through a massive performance stress test yet, but for normal use all is quite snappy. Startup and Shutdown (both the OS and applications) is remarkably fast to me.

Of course, comparing to my terrible work-assigned W2k Toshiba laptop is hardly fair. (On average: 10-15 minutes to get to the login screen, 5-10 minutes to login, 10-20 minutes to shutdown when it doesn't hang.) It's a bad machine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts