Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay, cool! We got married at the lighthouse by a Uclelet JP & snagged our witnesses off the beach!

The drive is special. I've been doing it since gravel logging road that often got washed out. PA has a great microclimate. Tofino is sooo over-touristed. I doubt that changed in what folks think is post-Covid.

The Festival of Lights at Tofino Botanical Gardens is a great (& mostly unknown to outsiders) event at end of summer to aim for.

I think I won't bother to do that with wife's MBA--she actually makes us money on the thing. But an M1 may be coming my way before long so I'll try that setup for Monterey if it shows two disks.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
That is correct, you can reformat the drive as one partition and install your desired OSX and voila with only one icon showing on your desktop. :)

Hmmm...??? I would suggest that statement is rather over-generalized and would only apply to some mac models and also depending on what view options have been chosen.

What is true with some of the latest models and their Mac OS version used is that some of the volumes can be hidden or shown, which is actually an option that has been around for several years now.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are you telling me, I can reformat her drive, install Monterey as a single MacOS Extended (Journaled) partition, thus resulting in a single disk & its icon?
IF that is what he is trying to tell you, he is incorrect. As the citation that I posted for you clearly states, "This volume split is permanent and mandatory". You can't reformat your hard drive as HFS+ and run Monterey, and you can't combine the two volumes that exist under Monterey into one. That is an absolute. There is no point in entertaining any hope that you can do otherwise. it is simply not possible.

What you CAN do, assuming that your particular model of Mac can support the relevant version of the Mac OS, is boot from an external boot drive, re-format (and erase) your hard drive, set the drive format as HFS+, install an older version of the Mac OS that doesn't split things into two volumes, and then use Migration Assistant to move all of your data from your backup to your internal drive. Doing so is a lot of work, and there are a number of things that can go wrong, and I don't see why anyone would go through the trouble for what I see as no good reason whatsoever, but if you are that set on having things exactly your way, doing this will accomplish what you want.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks, Randy. Apple effed up our deskspace...again. I probably use my Mac in a much different way from others but there's an awful lot of frippery I don't use.

There is, of course, the option of making the two disk icons invisible and get to all your stuff from a folder sidebar. Possibly could make an alias of the now-invisible disk and keep it where you want it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, AA. All I really care about is having ONE Monterey partition, therefore one disk icon on wifey’s Desktop.

Are you telling me, I can reformat her drive, install Monterey as a single MacOS Extended (Journaled) partition, thus resulting in a single disk & its icon?

That would be awesome but Apple may have a hidden monkeywrench.

Yes, I can CCC easily.

If you ever get to Bangkok, I’ll bring you to my friend’s Mac museum. He has literally everything Apple except the garage model. Lots signed by Steve & Woz. You’d love it.

Just checked your profile. You’re a Nanaimo bar! Where I’m from, we call them Tofino bars. We’ve got a handbuilt house on a small island in Clayoquot Sound one mile of water from the Pacific Terminus of the Trans-Canada.
You can format the drive for HFS+ but when you install Monterey it will convert to drive to APFS. Big Sur does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Thanks, Randy. Apple effed up our deskspace...again. I probably use my Mac in a much different way from others but there's an awful lot of frippery I don't use.

What parts of your "deskspace" precisely do you not like, and what ones would you like to change if you can.

And which MacOS version are you actually using???

- Patrick
=======

21 - 28 of 28 Posts