Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, us Canadians got a little glimpse of a TV show purchase option on our Apple TV's, although the feature wasn't fully functional. The next day, the option for TV shows disappeared. Last night, Apple flicked the switch and fully turned the feature on and made TV show purchases for Canadians a reality on our Apple TV's with a plethora of content available from a wide variety of networks.

As of writing this, Apple.ca has yet to reflect the changes for their Apple TV features page, but Canadians will find the option now available with content available from big American networks like ABC, NBC, and CBS, but also all the major Canadian networks like CBC, CTV, Global, CityTV, TSN etc... There's tons of speciality channels as well like TLC, Disney Channel and even content from specific organizations like the UFC.

The release seems to coincide with Apple's worldwide roll-out of it's iTunes Match service. Users who click on a show to purchase are greeted with an updated license agreement where a huge portion of the legaleze references iTunes Match.

The new (to Canada) service makes use of Apple's iCloud servers. All the TV Shows you purchase are stored on your iCloud making them not only available for your Apple TV, but your other devices connected to the cloud like your iPad, iPhone and Mac. One of the menu options is "Purchased TV Shows". When I selected this option, I could see previous TV shows I had purchased on my Mac. Some of which I had deleted off my Mac awhile back and forgot about. (Glee was purchased for my wife and daughters, I swear. :) )

Pricing for content varies from show to show and many TV series have an option to "Buy a Season Pass" which usually works out to be a bit less expensive than buying each episode individually. Current premium content seems to be consistently $3.49 Cdn for HD and $2.49 Cdn for SD quality, which is priced 50¢ higher than what is charged in the United States. With our dollar being at par with the US, that's a little frustrating. $3.49 for a single episode feels a little too steep for me personally. If I miss an episode of a program I love and didn't set the PVR, I might bite, but not sure I would spend $24.99 just for the entire season of Survivor, where if I wanted to get just one other Season Pass for another series, I'd be close to the cost of my entire cable bill.

Even with a less expensive Season Pass option, for me personally, it's not really viable for me to cancel my cable TV service from Rogers and get my content solely from my Apple TV. I do really like the access to a lot of specialty content that is of interest. For example, last night I bought a show that was 90 minutes of the best English Premier League soccer goals in HD that was available for $2.99.

What about you? How much (or how little) will you use this service? Are you excited about the TV show options finally available on your Apple TV in Canada? Post your thoughts in the ehMac forums!

·
Registered
342 Posts
This is fantastic news! Anything that opens up new content to Canada or adds value to my AppleTV is a welcome announcement. I'm especially pleased that the shows are stored in iCloud instead of hogging space on my Mac.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
I find for eight dollars a month, there's an awful lot of shows I can get from Netflix that I didn't even realize we're available. So that's where I be putting my money right now. Available on Apple TV, iPhone, or any other Apple device.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Ok that is expensive. Most tv shows run between 18-24 episodes per season. That is between $62.82 +tax and $83.76 + tax. WOW. That is one tv series and more than what I pay for cable. Plus the cost of internet bandwidth. Wait a few months get it on Netflix (hopefully) or buy the season on DVD/Bluray for $25.

Shouldn't it be cheaper? The PVR and cable bill still seems to be the cheaper route for current tv content watching. If the tv producers allow cable company customers to use PVR/DVR (what ever you want to call it) and not have to watch commercials why the high cost of these TV shows on Apple TV and why not have them Netflix. I just don't see the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
iTunes prices are taxes-in, but I do agree it's steep and rarely worth the price.

I guess the idea is that you get to cherry pick what you want instead of paying for a bunch of garbage channels (without the delay of Netflix, and higher quality if I'm not mistaken), and you get to keep a copy (unlike Netflix).

As for the PVR option, most cable providers sell/rent these for a pretty penny, and roll-your-own is still a pretty daunting geeky project for most people.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
iTunes prices are taxes-in, but I do agree it's steep and rarely worth the price.

I guess the idea is that you get to cherry pick what you want instead of paying for a bunch of garbage channels (without the delay of Netflix, and higher quality if I'm not mistaken), and you get to keep a copy (unlike Netflix).

As for the PVR option, most cable providers sell/rent these for a pretty penny, and roll-your-own is still a pretty daunting geeky project for most people.
I don't think so. If I buy some for $0.99 I get charged + taxes as is shown in my receipt from Apple for every purchase.

Also I purchased the PVR because it is not worth renting.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Just checked my receipts: app (iOS or Mac) prices don't include taxes, but music and video prices do. At least here in Quebec.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I've had a Boxee Box since it came out, and haven't paid a penny for my TV since.

I'd love to use my Apple TV for watching shows, but until they offer either a) a $0.99 rental per episode or b) a < $60 subscription for all I can watch, it's a no go for me. I cut cable as soon as the Boxee came out because I refuse to pay for service AND watch commercials. It should be one or the other, not both.

A7

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I find for eight dollars a month, there's an awful lot of shows I can get from Netflix that I didn't even realize we're available. So that's where I be putting my money right now. Available on Apple TV, iPhone, or any other Apple device.
Agreed. Apple is overcharging for TV shows and they are even worse on their electronic books. I fear they are becoming greedy corporate bas*****. $3.49 is highway robbery. If a song is worth 99c, a TV show originally free over the air isn't worth more than a quarter. Besides, I can watch TV on my Bell satellite (and record them) and get all the old shows I can handle on Netflix and Crackle.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
you guys forgetting about usage caps from isp? dont even the small 3rd party companies outside of bell and rogers have caps?
You mean my cap of 100GB, not worried. And if you want some 3rd party providers have packages that have no limit.

If you have a 15GB limit like my girlfriend, well you can't do anything on it anyways. I have told her to upgrade to at least the next level which is 60GB and 4 times faster for $11 more per month

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Doesn't Quebec have GST/HST? I get charged GST/HST for apps in iOS and Mac. But for music I don't.
Right. We have GST + a PST that's itemized but in effect harmonized.

With apps, the taxes aren't included in the price shown in the app store (Mac or iOS).

With music, TV, movies the price shown includes taxes. So, again, agreed that $3.49 is really steep for a TV show, but it is the taxes-in price.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
My first question is that to wonder if they make shows available based on when they air in the USA, or when they air in Canada?

I make an effort to watch maybe 4 shows regularly, and two of them air in the US several weeks before they air in Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been looking for an alternative to netflix. I have a love hate relationship with them

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
My first question is that to wonder if they make shows available based on when they air in the USA, or when they air in Canada?

I make an effort to watch maybe 4 shows regularly, and two of them air in the US several weeks before they air in Canada.
Answered my own question, I think: when they air in Canada. Never mind then, not for me.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Ok that is expensive. Most tv shows run between 18-24 episodes per season. That is between $62.82 +tax and $83.76 + tax. WOW. That is one tv series and more than what I pay for cable.
No, that is more than what you pay for one month of cable. You can't get a full season of shows on one month of cable. But I hear you - if you watch more than six shows, it's too expensive.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts