ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting from scratch as far as setting up a home with phone, Internet and TV and find the choices available extremely confusing. (I have been out of the country for 23 years).

The Bells and Cogecos etc all insist that they have the best service/prices but there are so many restrictions/extras (that are simply part of a normal service in all the other countries where I have lived in) that it's very frustrating sorting this all out - phone companies really charge extra for 'touch tone' in 2008??? Unbelievable.

Anyway - I am in Burlington, Ontario and I think I have settled on Tek Savvy for phone and a DSL connection with a 200GB cap. (I am used to a 100MB fibre connection with no caps for about $21/month so maybe I have been spoiled). Is this a good choice?

I am not sure about satellite vs cable for TV and the HD confusion (again I am shocked that they charge extra for digital here). Once I get the real prices, (not the first few months promo prices) I am still shocked about how much we have to pay in Canada - what do you guys recommend based on your experience??

Thanks!

Confused and tryin to stay sane in Burlington...

·
Student of ehMac
103 Posts
Just started using Shaw digital phone a month ago, bundled with internet. Price is great. The main flaw, that is not identified by Shaw or other ditigal phone services, is that digital phone services CANNOT receive collect phone calls. This is a major issue that is not addressed in any of their information upon registration. Seeing as this is a service that has always been an automatic part of the telephone system, it should be clearly identified and stated upfront before new clients choose Shaw or other digital phone services. It is not only a flaw of Shaw, but all digital phone services. This flaw must be corrected if this is the future of phone services. It is not often, but it is essential that collect calls can be received.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Bell ExpressVu, Bell Sympatico and Bell Mobility here and have never experienced better service from any other suppliers. Bell loves me!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Others I know in the Golden Horseshoe say good things about Cogeco.

Bell is .... well, Bell. ;) So many variables to affect your service level.

Since I went to openDNS, my Bell HS has been much better for packets sent/received. Don't let just speed tests alone convince you. They can be "detected". :mad:

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
For the past year I've been with Shaw for 10Mbit/sec cable and digital TV. I don't have "home phone" -- I use a VOIP phone for US "local" that and have an unlocked iPhone for Canadian "local" phone service.

The combined Shaw services cost about $100/month (I don't know the precise amount because it's in my landlord's name, thus he gets the bill and just includes it in the rent I pay). No serious complaints -- the internet service has been reliably up to advertised speeds, and apart from the occasional "pixelation" of the higher channels due to bad compression (a common problem with all digital cable offerings I've ever seen), works great. The TV "guide" service with Shaw is nowhere near as good as the one I had in Florida with a company called Bright House, but that will probably change in time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts