Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iMac I want to do a clean install. I did what I would normally do, boot into recovery, clean the drive and then go into clean install. I get this error that "a required download is missing". I boot into internet recovery and it does something for about 10 mins with a spinning globe and a count down clock. When that finishes it sits on an Apple logo for 15 mins before I shut it down and boot into recovery again and try to install now. I get the same message. The OS that was on this iMac was Mavericks.

I thought I could just download an OS from the App store on my other iMac that I recently updated to Mojave. Well they changed the App store now and while I can see past purchases it does not show Apple OS's like it did before Mojave. So now I don't know how to get an installer so I can even attempt at making a bootable USB OS installer.

Anyone have an idea on how I can get a copy of Mavericks, or any newer Mac OS that will work on a 21" iMac? Not sure what year it is, but it does have an i5 so not a super ancient CPU.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
IIRC High Sierra is the last one you can download directly. I did that for my 2011 iMac. Downloaded the high Sierra installer and made a USB boot drive from it.

I could probably upgrade past High Sierra but it's fine as is for what I use it for.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC High Sierra is the last one you can download directly. I did that for my 2011 iMac. Downloaded the high Sierra installer and made a USB boot drive from it.

I could probably upgrade past High Sierra but it's fine as is for what I use it for.
The one does not come up in the App store. I will have to check some other Mac's I have and see if I saved any of the OS installers. This is a real headache not having access to any installers if you encounter a problem like mine.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
I have an iMac I want to do a clean install.

Try reading through the recent discussions and the methods outlined here to try and overcome Apple's latest F' ups. They certainly do well at them.

How to get an old macOS installer from Apple
https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/how-to-get-an-old-macos-installer-from-apple.359446/#post-1862524

I don't believe you need to be a mac-forums.com member Just to read the posts, but it wouldn't hurt for if and when you need some good Mac Help.
You might even meet or recognize some other old ehmac.ca members over there as well.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have El Cap on a 64gb (32?)
USB stick I can give you an image if it helps. I also have a copy of Lion on DVD. Perhaps installing from another external disk other than the main disk might help - I got tricked before as the Recovery is not the highest level on the drive

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up using a time machine backup from a Mac Mini I have and restored from that. I upgraded to High Sierra which is the newest OS it can take. I will be trying to go the usual route this time around for a clean install.

I tried a few different things with no luck. Bootable USB stick did not work (showed up fine on a MacBook Pro), I put the iMac into target disk mode and connected via thunderbolt to MacBook Pro (2015 model I believe, iMac is 2011). It showed up but the option to install to the iMac was greyed out saying it could not be done because it was in target disk mode.

Never had this much trouble trying to do a clean install before!

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Never had this much trouble trying to do a clean install before!

It seems as though Apple Is trying to make it as difficult as possible so that most users eventually get fed up and just give up and just purchase a new machine.

That seems to be their aim at least and it never seemed to be like this with all the problems so many people seem to have.

Maybe just forget about doing a clean install If everything is working well and just carry on.

Are you actually having problems with your existing system??? Maybe I missed that if you mentioned it.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems as though Apple Is trying to make it as difficult as possible so that most users eventually get fed up and just give up and just purchase a new machine.

That seems to be their aim at least and it never seemed to be like this with all the problems so many people seem to have.

Maybe just forget about doing a clean install If everything is working well and just carry on.

Are you actually having problems with your existing system??? Maybe I missed that if you mentioned it.

- Patrick
=======
The problem is I wiped the drive first in disk utility which has been my normal method so I was stuck. If I can't do a clean install again I will restore from the Time Machine backup and just delete everything and rename. Thankfully not a lot on the backup I used, that computer is just used to power my Epson 9900 and really serves one purpose and that is to be a RIP.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
If I can't do a clean install again I will restore from the Time Machine backup and just delete everything and rename.

I don't think I'm really understanding what you say here, especially when you say "and just delete everything and rename". What is the point of doing that.

A trick used years ago, with HDDs and with things acting goofy or slow, was to use Carbon copy cloner to make a backup clone, wipe and zero-out the original drive, and then use CCC to copy back the clone onto the original clean drive. No need to delete or rename anything and a lot of unnecessary junk gets thrown away in the process and also cleans up a lot of of fragmentation.

Of course a whole different process exists with the newer SSDs. They don't like being zeroed-out and I understand it doesn't improve things anyway.

Personally I find so called mac OS Clean Installs to be a waste of time and don't really improve things a lot unless the OS was completely screwed up. Others have found the same thing. For some reason, other users don't believe us.

I don't know what your reason was for doing a clean install in the first place, but it didn't sound like you had anything really drastically wrong.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think I'm really understanding what you say here, especially when you say "and just delete everything and rename". What is the point of doing that.

A trick used years ago, with HDDs and with things acting goofy or slow, was to use Carbon copy cloner to make a backup clone, wipe and zero-out the original drive, and then use CCC to copy back the clone onto the original clean drive. No need to delete or rename anything and a lot of unnecessary junk gets thrown away in the process and also cleans up a lot of of fragmentation.

Of course a whole different process exists with the newer SSDs. They don't like being zeroed-out and I understand it doesn't improve things anyway.

Personally I find so called mac OS Clean Installs to be a waste of time and don't really improve things a lot unless the OS was completely screwed up. Others have found the same thing. For some reason, other users don't believe us.

I don't know what your reason was for doing a clean install in the first place, but it didn't sound like you had anything really drastically wrong.

- Patrick
=======

I am setting this computer up for my dad who is complete tech illiterate. The iPhone and iPad is a bit of a challenge for him. I am setting this iMac up for him at home and want to make things as simple as possible. With the current install it has stuff that is not needed and wanted him to have a clean install like a fresh new computer.

I do this when giving a computer away to family because again, it is like getting a new computer. They don't need software and things I had on it before nor will it work as they are specific apps for specific devices like wide format printers, or CTP's.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts
I spent a day trying to get my MacPro 3,1 to go back to Snow Leopard. Apple has become Microsoft in its control-freak approach to allowing legitimate users to install its operating systems.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts

According to  you can make a USM installer for Catalina How to create a bootable installer for macOS

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
According to  you can make a USM installer for Catalina How to create a bootable installer for macOS

That sounds like a typical answer from Apple that may not and often does not even work, especially when one is trying to install a much earlier OS such as Mavericks.

Getting an earlier, older Mac OS version installed has become a real PITA and for no real reason. And often, unfortunately, their web page tutorials of how to do not always work.

Maybe just give Apple Canada a call and see if there's a decent human tech that can help at the other end.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spent a day trying to get my MacPro 3,1 to go back to Snow Leopard. Apple has become Microsoft in its control-freak approach to allowing legitimate users to install its operating systems.
Apple has lost the balance that they had of form and function. Not sure I would even get a Mac again for home use. I have no issues with Windows 10 and my home use is very light, so next go around I will look elsewhere. Apple has just become to self righteous in how they look at the computing world and their users.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts