Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iMac G5 rev A is no longer starting up. I've been having issues lately where it would take holding down the power button to get the computer to start, or pressing the button repeatedly to get it started. A few weeks ago I had a start up where there was a weird 2 second beep, followed by rapid flashing of the light on the front, then the computer started. I looked online but could find no documentation for this issue. Since that happened I have since moved pretty much anything relevant to my external drive as a precaution.

I was previously in the habit of turning off my computer at the end of the day when I was done using it, but recently I have been pretty much leaving it on all the time so as to avoid trying to get it to turn on again. Does anyone have any idea what might have died in my computer? I'm not necessarily in the best spot financially to afford a new computer, so I'd like to see if I can get a few more months out of this one.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Has the motherboard and power supply been changed out??

If not it's probably covered.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
The beep and flashing just means you've opened the firmware by holding the power button.

It's not indicative.

The start up sound like a cap problem which is covered by the extended warranty on those units.

I've wondered if it's the battery from time to time as putting a finger nail under the battery connection and resetting PMU usually brings "dead" units back to life.

3 years.....could be.
My bet is MB/PS issue that the early units had and Apple covers.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Based on experience, your symptoms point to a defective power supply (your logic board is probably fine). Your unit is covered under the iMac G5 MLB/PS REP regardless of its current warranty status.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had all the big issues that were covered under the extended warranty for this unit, so I had the video display issue and the power supply issue covered under warranty. So it's possible it's the power supply again? If I take a look inside will there be any telltale signs of this?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on experience, your symptoms point to a defective power supply (your logic board is probably fine). Your unit is covered under the iMac G5 MLB/PS REP regardless of its current warranty status.
Could you elaborate on what the MLB/PS REP means? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation. My understanding was that the warranty was extended beyond the initial 1 year on the power supply and video issue to 2 years, but I wasn't aware of any coverage beyond that.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, I've been smoking busy this weekend, so I'm just getting around to checking the LEDs this morning. I should have a verdict in a bit.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found this article
iMac G5: Troubleshooting when your computer won't turn on
on the topic, so I'm going to take a look tomorrow and see what the diagnostic leds tell me.

Do you know of any documentation about the extended coverage for the iMac G5s?
I just went through the troubleshooting article I mentioned above and it seems to imply that my logic board is toast, as I cannot get my computer to start up at all and the LED 1 light never changes. If in fact it is the logic board is that covered too under this extended warranty?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help on this. I got my iMac back today after having both the power supply and logic board replaced under warranty at Carbon this week. Since I didn't have a Mac to work on all week it only worked to reconfirm why I dislike PCs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts