Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I posted this message this morning... but I guess not.

I'm having trouble printing at work (very small organisation).

They have a Lexmark laser printer connected to a PC through the USB port. In windows, they checked the "share this printer on the network" option.

Both that PC and my Mac are connected to the network via Ethernet through a single router.

Any suggestions on how I can get access to this printer at work??

Thanks for any help.

Marc P.

Ps: I have a printer directly on a network at home and can print no problem through IP printing (Printer has an ethernet network connection). But the printer at work has no network connection directly on it.

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
A bit outside my area. I would suggest an inexpensive ethernet printer for the work environment. That way you do not need to keep the "shared" computer going in order to print from other computers. Should also be somewhat faster than the ethernet USB relay.

Hopefully someone else can address the issue of how to talk to that Windoze box.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your ideas.

This is a small community organisation, so buying a new printer is not an option.

Thanks for the very helpful link. Looks to have all the info I need in this link
Printing to a printer on a Windows XP PC from a Mac running 10.4.x

Next time I'm at this place of work next Wednesday (June 27th) I'll give it a try and check back here to say if it worked.

Thanks again for the tip.

Marc P.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I was initially very encouraged by this dialogue. Even more so when I went to iFelix and found the excellent page with detailed instructions.

Sadly, they haven't worked to solve my problem.

I am working in a PC networked environment (using an IP address). When I try to print from MAC to the networked printer, the MAC software crashes. This occurs even though I am able thru the HP website (it is a Colour Laserjet 5550) so the printer, learn how much ink is remaining in each colour cartridge, AND print the test print page from available thru the HP webpage. But if I ask to print the webpage thru the network, FIREFOX crashes. If I make the IP networked printer the default printer, all/any software crashes upon clicking on the PRINT function in FILE menu, including WORD for MAC etc.

Ironman, I hope that you or someone else can help!! :)

MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.10 Dual core INtel 2.16 processor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts