ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to get a Old Performa online

I have had a project to get my old Performa lc575 online now I have bought modem and cables and all sorts of crap that never work I dont have dial up and I dont want to get so how can I get this beast online.

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
I agree with chas_m on this one.

We have a Mac from the same era. Use it mainly for keeping personal records and typing. Yep typing. If I need to type more than a page I much prefer that old key board to anything newer. Transfer using 1.4 MB floppy and USB floppy drive at the other end. Need ClarisWorks 4 in order to be compatible with AppleWorks 6. Otherwise need to open in OS 9 or to use SimpleText.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I have had a project to get my old Preforma lc575 online now I have bought modem and cables and all sorts of crap that never work I dont have dial up and I dont want to get so how can I get this beast online.
Hmm why did you buy a modem if you don't have a dialup account? That's the only thing it would be good for.

For the LC575 you will need an LC PDS ethernet card to start with. You will probably need to upgrade the ram as well, technically the max is 32mb but you can actually go up to 128mb. Next you will have to consider what system you have loaded, if it isn't OS 8 or better then you should upgrade....

Starting to sound like work?

I have a bit about the LC575 here.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
I have had a project to get my old Preforma lc575 online now I have bought modem and cables and all sorts of crap that never work I dont have dial up and I dont want to get so how can I get this beast online.
Would searching "Performa" score more results than "Preforma?"

Hmm why did you buy a modem if you don't have a dialup account? That's the only thing it would be good for.
I bought a USB modem to use with telephony software. I guess I could use dialup with it as well.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Get Ethernet on the Performa; either via a card or via a SCSI-Ethernet adapter. Hunt vintage Mac areas of eBay, subscribe to the appropriate LowEndMac mail list and ask the members, etc.

The modern internet doesn't have much in common with older machines that can only run older browsers, but I don't think it's a waste of time trying; being able to connect is invaluable for FTP access and getting your hands on old software, manuals, eMail, etc. and will make any playing around with the older gear much easier to deal with.

However, even if you don't plan on using the Performa as an internet browsing machine, Ethernet is the way to go for connecting it to a more modern Mac, which can then do the work of getting older software, obscure drivers for obsolete perephrials you might want to play with, etc

" ... I bought a USB modem to use with telephony software. I guess I could use dialup with it as well. ..."

If you can find an older copy of MegaPhone to go with your voice/data/fax modem, you may be very happy with the old Performa and her old dog's tricks. I ran a phone system off it more than a decade ago, and it was the very best setup ever. You still can't duplicate that with anything available for OSX.

Similarly, FaxSTF at one time was a good application, and the versions for System 7 are roughly the high point of that now-worthless application. You may find it works better at that job than modern equivalents, which tend to be overly complex and buggy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

For the LC575 you will need an LC PDS ethernet card to start with. You will probably need to upgrade the ram as well, technically the max is 32mb but you can actually go up to 128mb. Next you will have to consider what system you have loaded, if it isn't OS 8 or better then you should upgrade....

Starting to sound like work?

I have a bit about the LC575 here.
I only bought the modem because if it works I would get dial up

Also Do you have any ideas where I can get a LC PDS ethernet card because that looks like the solution for me and It runs mac OS 8.1 so will automaticly reconize it or is there a need for drivers. On the website they showed the card it had ethernet and another thing it looked like a cable port for a tv what is it :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I only bought the modem because if it works I would get dial up

Also Do you have any ideas where I can get a LC PDS ethernet card because that looks like the solution for me and It runs mac OS 8.1 so will automaticly reconize it or is there a need for drivers. On the website they showed the card it had ethernet and another thing it looked like a cable port for a tv what is it :confused:
Oh ok.

I would look on eBay for an LC PDS card, there are a couple of flavours of PDS cards the one you saw on my site with two connectors is for 10T and thin coax. Nobody runs thin any more and your router will most likely be 10T so make sure it has 10T and you are all set. They will both work fine with 10T.

$10 should do it, before CPUsed became Beamecho they used to have lots of those cards. I have not been to the new store so have no idea what they have now or prices but eBay is also an option.

LC PDS ethernet, Computers Networking items on eBay.com

There are probably folks on here with those cards collecting dust on a shelf somewhere so perhaps if we knew where you were....

The LC 575 could also use a comm slot ethernet card which is a lot harder to find and there were two types with subtle differences with only one version working with your Mac.

K

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Yup there are SCSI ethernet adaptors from Asante and some from Farallon but both are painfully slow compared to a proper LC PDS card. Only reason those other one's exist is when there wasn't a true ethernet option such as the Classic/Classic II, original PowerBooks etc.

I have them in my collection and they work ok, but not terribly fast and they are rather hard to find these days especially complete.

K

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh ok.

I would look on eBay for an LC PDS card, there are a couple of flavours of PDS cards the one you saw on my site with two connectors is for 10T and thin coax. Nobody runs thin any more and your router will most likely be 10T so make sure it has 10T and you are all set. They will both work fine with 10T.

$10 should do it, before CPUsed became Beamecho they used to have lots of those cards. I have not been to the new store so have no idea what they have now or prices but eBay is also an option.

LC PDS ethernet, Computers Networking items on eBay.com

There are probably folks on here with those cards collecting dust on a shelf somewhere so perhaps if we knew where you were....

The LC 575 could also use a comm slot ethernet card which is a lot harder to find and there were two types with subtle differences with only one version working with your Mac.

K

It was the thin coax and I think I probly will get the Farallon LC PDS Ethernet Card Apple Macintosh NIC Mac from ebay now heres the linkhttp://cgi.ebay.com/Farallon-LC-PDS-Ethernet-Card-Apple-Macintosh-NIC-Mac_W0QQitemZ260404973233QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca1588eb1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:570|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

and it says its compatible but it also says
You are bidding on a Farallon LC PDS Ethernet Card. This card features a 10Base-T standard Ethernet port allowing you to connect to modern networks. Uses built-in Apple drivers. and is it realy that simple to set up plug it in and open up the browser

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
It was the thin coax and I think I probly will get the Farallon LC PDS Ethernet Card Apple Macintosh NIC Mac from ebay now heres the linkhttp://cgi.ebay.com/Farallon-LC-PDS-Ethernet-Card-Apple-Macintosh-NIC-Mac_W0QQitemZ260404973233QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca1588eb1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:570|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

and it says its compatible but it also says
You are bidding on a Farallon LC PDS Ethernet Card. This card features a 10Base-T standard Ethernet port allowing you to connect to modern networks. Uses built-in Apple drivers. and is it realy that simple to set up plug it in and open up the browser
Should be fine, Farallon and Asante cards were typically plug and play on the LC series. Put the card in first, then do the install of OS 8.1

Kevin

·
Registered
942 Posts
My beige G3 can barely handle most websites, and just completely locks up on anything that is dependent on JavaScript. I often have to force quit (God, I love command-option-escape) and once not even that worked. Your LC575 will be FRIED trying to get even the simplest of tasks completed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My beige G3 can barely handle most websites, and just completely locks up on anything that is dependent on JavaScript. I often have to force quit (God, I love command-option-escape) and once not even that worked. Your LC575 will be FRIED trying to get even the simplest of tasks completed.
Ok I want to get this straight I am not using this for a praticle use I have other computers for that I want to do this as a experement nothing else

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
As everyone has said, the first thing you need is ethernet. Anything else is a kludge.

Then you need a browser. There is probably a browser there already.

Once you have these things, plug it into your network and set the Appletalk to go out through ethernet and then set TCP/IP to DHCP and enable sharing. You should be ready to go.

Then get yourself to system7today.com and look at their essential upgrades for non powerPC machines. Though they focus on System 7.6.1 and System 7.5, most will be applicable to 8.1.

Without going to 8.6, you can't use WamCom Mozilla. It is probably the mostmodern browser for classic macs.

On system7today.com, you can download versions of Opera, iCab, Internet Explorer and Netscape that should work with your system. It also tells you how to configure them. You are in for a retro browsing experience. there are also a bunch of applications that you can download.

Someone mentioned Wannabe. It is awesome. Use it in conjunction with QuickTime Player. It is a straight text browser, incredibly quick. Once you get there, downoad the images and play them in Quicktime.

For email, get the Eudora 4.33 upgrade. It will run as Eudora in sponsored mode. Alternately, use the built in email client in netscape communicator 4.x

Have fun

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I already have mac os 8.1 installed do i have to reinstall or does it automaticly find it
Check and see if you have ethernet drivers installed then, if not you will have to install them from the 8.1 disks. I can't remember if these are automatically installed even if there is no card installed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts