Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this comment on Pownce:

Random OS X tip: Hold down Control and scroll with your mouse (with the scroll wheel or with two fingers on the trackpad) to zoom into anything on your screen. Found it by accident.

Dunno if this is related to the software setting available to mighty mouse users, but thought this was very cool... Helps with the odd microscopic picture on a web page for sure...

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
One of the features that's been a saving grace to me ever since I went from a big 20" iMac to strain your eyes 15" MacBook Pro.

·
Red Mage
258 Posts
Command+Option+(The + Key) also zooms in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It is a pretty cool feature. My buddy who is in Photo Journalism, who has an OSX class told me about this back in october. I usually use it when wanting to watch streamed videos fullscreen..ish lol.

I watch the videos on :

Familyguynow.com
watchamericandad.com
allsp.com and sometimes
youtube.com lol

·
Registered
943 Posts
Command+Option+(The + Key) also zooms in.
Not the same. That just increases font size kind of zoom. This actually keeps everything around it the same proportions also! :clap:

But I just found out comand+option+2 fnigered scroll = go back and forward in the browser!!! Cool!:D

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's actually a feature that came with the newest Mighty Mouse drivers originally.

I'm not sure if they've incorporated it into the more recent OS X updates, as I've had the Mighty Mouse drivers on all my systems since 10.4.3.
worked for me long before the mighty mouse... pretty sure this worked in panther, although it was not turned on by default

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not the same. That just increases font size kind of zoom. This actually keeps everything around it the same proportions also! :clap:

But I just found out comand+option+2 fnigered scroll = go back and forward in the browser!!! Cool!:D
How do you mean? command option 2 finger scroll just scrolls up and down just like a regular 2 finger scroll :confused:

·
Registered
368 Posts
worked for me long before the mighty mouse... pretty sure this worked in panther, although it was not turned on by default
Actually, as a "Universal Access" feature, it's been around for a while, but you previously had to mess with obscure keyboard commands (something like CMD-OPT-8 IIRC).

I'm pretty sure that it was sometime around 10.4.8 that the CTRL+scrollwheel feature was added to the OS itself.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Everything old is old again...
Yeah - i remember that thread (its info gems like that I lurk around here for) - but, incredibly, this post solved a little nag I've been having just today since lunch.

My screen focus was soft and as I'm using DVI, I was pretty sure it was something to do with display settings or something, but nothing would fix it. Well it turns out OSX was "zoomed" just one notch - enough to make the screen fuzzy and square the corners of the main menu bar. Somehow it got stuck like that and didn't come unstuck - even after restarts (!) - until I zoomed (I think it must be relatied to this return to normal July heat and humity?). And NOW OSX automatically returns to full screen at very low zoom settings - it just won't stay a little bit zoomed anymore. Thank goodness. OK> back to lurk... er... work!

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
I tried searching for this topic before posting.. honest... I saw the first page of the thread above, but didn't seem to mention anything about the ctrl-zoom feature.

Anyway, c'est la vie
:eek:
I admit, it took some work to find... and I love the zoom feature.

·
Registered
943 Posts
How do you mean? command option 2 finger scroll just scrolls up and down just like a regular 2 finger scroll :confused:
Maybe its the browser's functionality too???? I'm on FireFox. In any case it works for me, and I'm gonna use it!

Try it again though. The first time I tried the zoom thing it just scrolled up and down, then it magically started working!

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
yes i know that. i already said that I have been doing this since I got my mac.

but i was talking about that other comment about using command+option+ 2 finger scroll to go back and forward in the browser.

Thanks for reading the post ;)

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
yes i know that. i already said that I have been doing this since I got my mac.

but i was talking about that other comment about using command+option+ 2 finger scroll to go back and forward in the browser.

Thanks for reading the post ;)
I'll try harder now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.