Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trouble copying and pasting in web forums launched with Camino

I have trouble copying and pasting when I type a message or reply on ehMac.
Seems to me the problem is recent because it's so annoying, I would have noticed it earlier. I assume it's a setting that got changed somewhere, but I have no clue where.

Oh, the problem :D

When I have typed something and then want to add something to that line using copy/paste or cut/paste.
I place the cursor at the point where I want to paste the additional information, but as soon as I click paste, the Mac (or the application?) automatically selects all of the previous word and replaces it with the pasted information. That also happens when I leave a space between the last word in the sentence and the cursor position.

Didn't used to work like that, the paste would just go where the cursor was placed without selecting anything automatically.

Now as a workaround, I always type an extra letter in the original sentence, so when I do this copy/paste, this extra letter gets deleted.

PS: I just noticed that this problem only happens when I do the copy/paste with the mouse right click - using the regular drop down menu, everything works as expected.
I bought a new mouse a few weeks ago, so that would make sense.
And it's a Microsoft mouse.........maybe that's why. :D

Now how to fix it?

PPS: OK -it's not the mouse. If I do the same thing using the control key and the left mouse click, I get the same problem.

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
What happens when, after you've positioned your cursor where you want the pasted text to begin, you just use the "cmd+V" paste text key combo?
No menus and no mouse clicks.

jb.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That works fine.

It's definitely a contextual menu issue. The problem actually happens as soon as I bring the contextual menu up, either with a right click or a control left click.

What bugs me is that this used to work just fine. I have used the right mouse click contectual menu for years like that without problems.
Just tried it with an Apple mouse - same problem.
Is there a preference or setting option somewhere for the contextual menu?

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I'm finding that this problem only happens on ehMac!

When I'm in MS Word, everything works normally; I was just in a German banking site with the same browser I use for ehMac, and the problem didn't happen there either (I thought it might be a browser problem).

Turns out it's an ehMac forum problem as far as I can tell. Maybe I'll do more testing tomorrow to see if the problem happens on any other forum site.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Try Camino or Seamonkey and see if it goes away on ehMac.

I've had nothing but grief with Safari and ehMac - gave up trying.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using Camino already - gave up on Safari quite a while back.

Didn't have that problem in the past with Camino and ehMac. I think I need to make a list of applications where the problem occurs and where it doesn't. Maybe that gives me or someone else a hint what causes it.

Is nobody else having this issue?

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a bit of testing, I think it's a Camino issue.

Tried it with Word, Excel, Apple mail.....all work fine

Tried it with Camino and four different forums, they all had the problem.

Tried ehMac with Safari, Firefox and Camino. Only Camino had the problem, Firefox and Safari worked fine on ehMac.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.