Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are planning to have a vacation in France. Our Macbook Pro seems to be too heavy for a backpack trip. We are looking for alternatives. We need something with wifi and a reasonable size hard drive to backup our photos. A G3 ibook should work pretty well. However, it is quite heavy, and we have no use of this ibook after this trip. Here is my question. Is it possible to find a PDA that can be connected to my digital camera and ipod? How do I connect my ipod photo to my camera and use ipod as a drive to save photos?

Thanks,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get an portable HDD with USB support.

I took a trip 2 years ago to Eastern Europe for over a month, took over 7500 photos. get 2 inexpensive 2.5" drive, 2 enclosures which will allow you to backup data from memory cards to the drive, vola... you can shoot as much as you want, has 2 backup copy, and these things are no heavier than 2 ipods.
go to Canada computers and ask them which enclosures are the best to do this job.
At the end of your trip, you will have 2 extra drive to back stuff up @ home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Surely the easiest and least expensive, least invasive answer is to Buy a 2Gig Flash Drive (Pocket drive) or a few of them. $30 buys 2 Gigs. They wiegh a few grans only. There are any number of Internet cafes in France & Europe whereby you can download your photos & save them on a Pocket drive. I make daily back-ups this way whenever I visit the UK.
TTFN, TeeC

·
Registered
153 Posts
PhotoBank

I'm not sure, but this might help:

http://www.smartdisk.com/eWeb/smartdiskus/www/staticpages/PhotoBank.asp

• Transfer and store photos to internal 40GB hard drive, allowing reuse of a flash memory card
• Copy photos quickly and easily from Compact Flash I/II, MicroDrive, Memory Stick, MS-PRO, SD, Mini-SD, MMC and SmartMedia flash memory cards
• Monitor data transfer via the LCD status indicator
• Connect to PC using Hi-Speed USB. Store over 20,000 photos (based on 1.6MB file size)
• Transfer multiple flash memory cards on a single battery charge (rechargeable lithium-ion battery)

·
Registered
21 Posts
What most seasoned photographers will tell you is too buy extra memory card, they are ultra-light, easy to carry (Thats what they keep telling me).

The ipod tranfer cable works but does drain the battery (this is subjective based on the age & size of the ipod), so if your thinking of that option, test how many pictures you can transfer on to your ipod before your leave (to ensure that you are going to get good milage), best to invest also in a ipod wall adpater (and all nessary plugs) so that you can recharge it on your trip.

·
Registered
788 Posts
uMAc :),

You are correct, when I was at the Winter Olympics in Italy 2006, I was wondering what the best method was at the time and I found that buying more memory cards was the best way.

I spent the entire month of February in Italy at the Winter Olympics, I took thousands and thousands of digital pictures. I did bring my Mac laptop with me, but only because I was staying with someone and didn't have to worry about the security of my Mac being stolen.

Even if I didn't own a laptop, I would still recommend just buying more memory cards, take as many pictures as you want, and wait until you get home to do the rest :).

Now I was able to meet with a lot of professionals out in the field at the winter Olympics and the set up they used was amazing. For example, the one photographer at the hockey games, had a Mac Powerbook rigged up along with a professional Canon DSLR along with some other stuff, so that after every shot he took, he could dump it to the Mac, quickly send it off to another location nearby where they would process it and then send it away for media all within seconds.

Another example was where I bumped into a guy using professional Nikon gear, man this guy must have had 100lbs worth of gear to lug around all day. Then there was me and my digital camera along with my memory cards, we were comparing shots and he was surprised to see how well my Canon Powershot S3 IS was doing.

Point is, I would not want to go on vacation and drag a lot of heavy stuff around when I know that memory cards will do. Point of vacation is to have fun and not to worry about all the equipment :).

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Hi,

When I was in south east Turkey two years ago I just went to any camera shop and had my pictures taken off the card and put on CD. Cheap and easy. If small towns in Turkey can do this for you then I would guess you can do this anywhere in France.

s.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You can get an extra memory card for next to nothing these days if you shop around.
I had 22GB of memory cards with me when I traveled to Australia. I was shooting RAW so I was only getting 70 images per GB. If you're using a standard point and shoot camera, you're looking at hundreds of images per GB. Pick up a few 2GB flash cards and spread the images throughout them.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My brother who travels a lot and takes many large pictures decided to get one of the Epson P-3000 or P-5000. He is loving it, he can download and watch his pictures without a need of a computer and on top of that he can take a couple of movies for the trip... He also has an iPod and the connector, but the drain on the battery while uploading wouldn't let his iPod last much. This is another alternative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts