Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. We are moving to Central America in about six months. Of course when i bought the iMac and Apple TV we hadn't planned for that, so i threw away the packaging. Does anyone have any experience taking an iMac on a plane and how did you package it? I have heard of the Lugger bags, has anyone used them?

As well, i have Apple TV here and I am wondering if it will operate anywhere, or if once i plug it in down there it will not operate because I won't be in Canada..

Thanks for your help
Stephen

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts
For others reading this thread. I do recommend hanging on to the original packaging for several reasons. Moves, transport for warranty, resale are just some of them.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
If you can find the original packaging, then I would try and get it from a local Apple dealer or store - many have extra boxes and styrofoam.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
First purchase upon landing and before plugging in your iMac: a universal an uninterruptible power supply (like an APC unit). Generally horrible power-line conditions down here (I'm in Mexico).

As for "will it work" - I would say yes. For example, my iTunes account is based in Canada, and I have had no problem with purchasing / renting movies, music, etc. online.

Occasionally I'll run into a website that does IP detection and blocks me from watching streaming video (like CBC online programming, Comedy Central, BBC, etc.) but in some cases I can avoid that by running an HTTP proxy, like the very simple HotSpot Shield (install, run, done - no config necessary).

Edit: Thanks John Clay for the correction
Edit: What, no BBCode for strikethrough?

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
Personally if i were going away for 6 months i'd look at buying a used Macbook and then sell it upon returning. A lot easier to travel with and it could replace the AppleTV's functions (albeit not as slick). Price difference should be minimal if you get a good deal on the macbook.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
First purchase upon landing and before plugging in your iMac: a universal power supply (like an APC unit). Generally horrible power-line conditions down here (I'm in Mexico).
Just a correction, you want an uninterruptible power supply, not universal. APC does make quality UPSes, and they'd be a good brand to get.

·
Registered
437 Posts
backup

don't forget to make sure you have a good back up before you consign your baby to the cargo hold... an extra copy of anything vital to leave here is probably a good idea too...

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
Personally if i were going away for 6 months i'd look at buying a used Macbook and then sell it upon returning. A lot easier to travel with and it could replace the AppleTV's functions (albeit not as slick). Price difference should be minimal if you get a good deal on the macbook.
Andrew, the OP says he is moving to central america in about 6 months, sounds permanent to me, like he is not coming back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for your postings
Yeah - it will be as permanent as we can make it. We may have to come back for a while next year, but that will be in 10-12 months. So taking my stuff down will be pretty much a one time deal. As for the cargo hold, i have heard a few instance where it was successful, but seeing as those suitcases come out on the belt pretty beat up, i don't think i will subject my computer(s) to that. My Macbook Pro (the other computer) will be okay, it's just the iMac which will be the challenge. And a few people (just on google) said that they just took off the monitor stand and packed it in a carry-on bag by it self, to keep the bag as small as possible, and then babyied it the whole way.. but i would feel more comfortable with some kind of padding - turbulence etc.

My other option will be to sell the iMac here and buy a laptop, however that would mean transferring all my software, work setup and so on.

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
My other option will be to sell the iMac here and buy a laptop, however that would mean transferring all my software, work setup and so on.
That's pretty easy if you have an external drive and a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper (both free)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think it would be better to ship the iMac. If you don't need it to be a really fast delivery, it would probably only be a couple of hundred dollars and you could insure it for piece of mind. Get Canada Post to give you a quote. You would have to track down some good packaging though. I think that is your best option, it takes a lot of the worry out. As for the Apple TV, it will work there. I bought an Apple TV in Australia, synced it to my macbook, so it was on the canadian apple store. When I got home to canada, I just bought an AC plug, (it's a very standard power jack) and that has worked perfectly.

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
all apple products should be 100v/240v auto sensing nowdays.

shipping... to the US yeah.. but to mexico? hmm.. i wouldn't trust it very much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New issues...

btw thanks for all your posts. I have another problem now.
My intention is to burn all my DVD's to my time capsule, and then take that and stream my DVD's from the time capusle to my Apple TV, when we get down to Nicaragua.

I bought ATV Flash in order to do this, and have been playing around with burning some concerts DVD's i have. Here is my problem.
When i burn the DVD using Handbrake I get the whole concert - with chapters, but without the DVD menu/etc. One big file, but great quality - i could deal with this.
When i burn the DVD with Mactheripper, i get the concert, chapters, DVD menu etc etc, but the playback of the file skips/hangs and is choppy (audio and video).. Not the smooth playback of the other file.
Does anybody have any idea why? I am trying to figure out if it is either my network hanging, or the actually ripping process, or what.. I have tried a few things - first was to rip it to my hard drive on my laptop instead of directly to my network hard drive, and then transfer it once ripped. Same problem. Then i ripped it on my iMac (instead of Macbook Pro) using the same programs, handbrake/mactheripper - same problem.
I know this has been discussed on the other forum a few times but i appreciate your comments..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts