1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Two CN Rail trains collide in British Columbia
Updated Sat. Aug. 4 2007 6:44 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Two CN Rail trains collided near Prince George, B.C., reportedly causing a derailment, fire and a minor fuel leak into the nearby Fraser River.

But a CN Rail spokesman said it isn't clear if the fuel leak is actually causing any environmental damage.

"Indications are that only one tanker ... lost some product. It went on to the ground and towards the river," CN Rail spokesman Jim Feeny told CTV Newsnet from Edmonton on Saturday.

"As it was on the ground, it was on fire. At this point, we do not know for certain if any of that product got into the river or not, and if it did, whether it was on fire or not."

Emergency and environmental response teams are on site, and more information should be forthcoming later today, he said.

The accident happened about 10:30 a.m. local time.

Thick, black smoke poured off one locomotive, darkening the skies over the city. Officials say a lumber car on one of the trains is burning, along with a gasoline tanker car. Fire crews are working on controlling the blaze.

No injuries have been reported.

Hundreds of onlookers had viewed the scene from a park on the other side of the river. The RCMP closed that park, fearing that people might be at risk if the one tanker car ever exploded.

RCMP Const. Gary Godwin told The Canadian Press it appears one train jumped the tracks and hit another train on an opposing set of tracks.
Is there not an inquiry going on as to why all the trains accidents??

Glad no one is hurt but this could have been very bad if that was a passenger train involved.

CTV.ca | Two CN Rail trains collide in British Columbia

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Apparently the accident was caused by one train derailing and crashing into a train on another set of tracks. I'm guessing if this was a pass by, the train went too fast at a switch, eventually jumped the track when it could not regain stability, and crashed into a waiting train.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
But a CN Rail spokesman said it isn't clear if the fuel leak is actually causing any environmental damage.
... Yet. So this crash hasn't yet added to the toll of environmental damage this company has inflicted on BC in all its other negligent accidents in recent months. This company is lower than pond scum.

I predict no enquiry or government action. CN crashes have become an almost weekly event.

CN Rail has had an astonishingly bad safety record since they took over from the former Crown Corporation, BC Rail. I can't even remember how many crashes, derailments and spills they've had in the last few years, but it's got to be in the double digits by now.

Yes, letting the American-owned CN Rail take over has surely saved all of us taxpayers a whack of money, right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Apparently the accident was caused by one train derailing and crashing into a train on another set of tracks. I'm guessing if this was a pass by, the train went too fast at a switch, eventually jumped the track when it could not regain stability, and crashed into a waiting train.
I'm sorry dona but one should never assume anything... you're theory is automatically placing the blame on the operating crew without giving them the benefit of the doubt... there are many reasons why a train can jump the tracks, but I guess it's just easier to assume that the crew was going too fast then to admit that poor track maintenance might have played a role.(I know, I'm assuming, but it's only to prove a point). If I didn't know any better I would say you were a CN manager :yikes:

do we even know if there was a crossover at this location? Did the locomotive struck the tail end (last car of the consist) of the other train? or did it sideswipe it? So many questions, so early in the investigation to know any of the answers.

I'm sorry but I felt I needed to defend the crew... I've seen this guilty until proven innocent b.s. way too many times with this company.

I once witnessed a fellow yard foreman being accused of throwing the switch under a moving car... they tried to hang him for it... sat there for a few hours being accused of being a liar, threatened with doing time on the street (being suspended without pay for x number of days) only to be determined later that he did nothing wrong, a defect with the switch itself caused the derailment... never an apology from the manager that sat there for hours wrongly accusing this poor kid.

Sorry but you're statement hit a little close to home that's all. :(

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
CN Rail has had an astonishingly bad safety record since they took over from the former Crown Corporation, BC Rail. (SNIP) Yes, letting the American-owned CN Rail take over has surely saved all of us taxpayers a whack of money, right?
GA, obviously private business has determined that it is more efficient to occasionally cause environmental disasters than to properly maintain infrastructure and properly train and pay skilled employees. What, are you a communist?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I'm not sure if anyone is really interested or not but I just got back from work and I figured I would give you an update regarding what occurred in this incident.

After seeing the picture and reading the article I had this nagging question that was bothering me... how did the crew manage to escape unharmed from what appears to be a terrible head on collision? And the answer is...

there was no crew aboard the locomotive... surprised? don't be... this was a beltpack loco... "remote controlled"... I'm not familiar with the territory but apparently this is a former BC Rail yard (we all assumed this was on the mainline), and there is quite a grade to it... when BC Rail operated it the pullback limit was 30 cars (for safety reasons), after CN took over they upped the limit to 45 cars, and the number of cars on this cut that derailed? <drum roll> 53 :clap:

the crew refused to pull the cut due to the number of cars so they were pulled from service and two managers (who get trained for 2 weeks and then think they actually know how to operate trains) were put in their place to make the move... and surprise, surprise it appears the cut was too heavy and it got away from them, causing the mess you see before you. So there you go Dona, although we had opposing theories it seems the truth lies somewhere in the middle. A crew, albeit a management one, makes a mistake due to company negligence. Welcome to the new CN :greedy:

Also CubaMark, regarding your question to GA... just because private business has determined that it is more efficient to occasionally cause environmental disasters than to properly maintain infrastructure and properly train and pay skilled employees, doesn't make it right. And no I'm not a communist, I'm a capitalist which is exactly why I happily keep drawing a nice fat paycheck from them regardless or whether or not I agree with their modus operandi. :greedy:

Shoot, I guess that makes me a hypocrite too, oh well gotta make a living somehow ;)

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts