Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sending prayers to the injured and my condolences to the deceased. But that was a seriously catastrophic accident. The front of that bus was torn right off. I don't see how the driver could has survived, but praying nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
It will be interesting to see if we can find out how the driver was so distracted that he did not apply the brakes in time. It turns out from passengers of the bus interviewed thus far that the whole bus was basically yelling at him to stop and that he did hit the breaks but obviously not in time.

Obviously this is a tragedy but it could have been so much worse.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly, the bus driver was among the deceased on site, and a 6th person has passed in hospital from injuries

But as I looked at the photos, and the surreal damages from the collision, the barriers were up and neither looked damaged. They're saying that he bus hit the train and not the opposite. IDK. That would seem so odd considering some have said that ppl braced for impact.

But there was a bus across the track - and likely the driver of that bus will have some significant statements re: the crash.

Still.

BUT i don't know if anyone's been watching the CBC but man, Suhana is a total amateur. I heard her criticize a hospital pr staffer on the phone for not having deets on a crash that was just under 2hrs old, where no one knew what was happening. Claiming that not having deets was unacceptable, and that she had family there. Slow down Su, i'm FROM Ottawa and i'm handling this way better than your whole broadcast team. Man... brutal.

31 injured. 11 critical.

very sad day.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
Watching CTV with with interviews with passengers, they say the gates were down, everyone was yelling for the driver to stop, he did hit the brakes but didn't stop in time.

The bus hit the engine of the train about 1/4 the way down from the front on an angle as the track intersects the transit way at an angle at the crossing like this:

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Watched the news last night.. I think it sounds like 2 things.. driver was suicidal or had an aneurism.. only time will tell..
this is truly a tragic event.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Ok. How about looking at a screen device as a text message whatever came in. Split second distraction.
too much speculation.. let the experts decide.. if this is one of the worst 'land crossings' in Canada.. then doing so would be considered a criminal offense, since having to care for the lives of the passengers is greater than a txt.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I think there are other reasons. One thing that may have attributed to this is that driver was new to the route. He had only been working on that route for a week or two. As well there are train and bus stations close by. Was he distracted by a passenger that had recently gotten on? You get alot of passengers talking or arguing with the bus driver.

It was a full bus so those that weren't near the front may not have had a clear view of the driver. It's the passengers at the front of the bus that would be able to tell us something and some of those were killed in the crash and others were severely hurt.

The other question is, why was there no underpass or overpass at this crossing. When CN owned the line and the city wanted to make Woodroffe a 4 lane highway years ago and that a transitway would also be there in the future, CN did a safety assessment and said there must be a underpass or overpass there. But apparently a study was done that indicated due to rock or soil conditions that an underpass would cost well more than the $44 million first estimated. It would cost over $100 million. As well then, VIA rail took over the line years later and did a safety assessment of that intersection.

·
Premium Member
18,010 Posts
It does seem to be a very odd place for an accident... the bus approached the tracks at a significant angle (see diagram above) and his peripheral vision should have easily picked up the oncoming train... here's Google Maps' street view from that crossing:

(Google Maps URL)

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
It does seem to be a very odd place for an accident... the bus approached the tracks at a significant angle (see diagram above) and his peripheral vision should have easily picked up the oncoming train... here's Google Maps' street view from that crossing:
Actually that is the road crossing next to the transit way crossing. No cars are allowed on the transit way crossing (and with no on coming traffic either), but the crossing you show would be very similar if not identical in angle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.