Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across a reader posting in Applelinks' Moore's Mailbag about differential search results in Safari.

Logically, it didn't seem possible... but darnit, it actually happens!

Open Safari and Internet Explorer (just this once, I promise).

In each, go to www.ebay.ca (or .com)

in the search field type "nazi" and ensure that you are searching "worldwide".

Safari will return no results. Explorer returned 1421 hits, including 164 in Canada.

I am at a loss to understand how that filtering is happening, since it's the eBay server which displays the "no results", not Safari....

<font size="-1">[NOTE: Do not take this as an endorsement for the purchase or procurement of nazi paraphrealia or the advocation of nazi sentiments. I hate the bastards.]</font>

M.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I just tested that and indeed, there is a discrepancy... 162 in Canada on IE vs um, zero in Canada in Safari...

However, I don't know if it's strictly Safari or maybe some weird thing with the combination.

If you try in the search field in the upper right corner of Safari and use "nazi" as the search term, you get:

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,700,000

The same result happen in IE if you go to Google and search.

So it has to be something within eBay but is also in Safari working together...

Bee-Czar

:cool:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Strongblade wrote:
I just tested that and indeed, there is a discrepancy... 162 in Canada on IE vs um, zero in Canada in Safari...

I did the same test with Camino and Safari, and got the same result.

I looked at the traffic going between eBay and Safari using <code>tcpdump</code>, and eBay isn't sending any results back to Safari, so if there's any filtering going on, it's occuring on eBay's servers. Plus, I can't see any obvious difference between Safari's request to eBay and Camino's request, so I'm not sure why eBay performs this fitlering for Safari and not Camino.

I'll try going through the <code>tcpdump</code> logs a bit more thoroughly when I've got some spare time, but for now I'm as confused as anyone else.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Same thing happens with "slut," "penis," "pussy," and "b*tch".

Oddly, it doesn't happen with "hentai" or "rape."

I wonder why they decided to censor some words, but not others?

And yes...I do have too much spare time on my hands. :p

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Just a thought here, but could it possibly be because Safari is just a beta version? Will we get access to everything evil and vile once it is tweaked for the masses? :eek:

BTW...just in case anyone thinks that I am being cynical here, I just want to clear this up once an for all: I think that we should ALL be able to access anything we want to on the internet. What we look at is our business, and shouldn't be censored in any way shape or form.

But...we should all be responsible for what we look at as individuals. If there are some sort of repercussions for our choices, then so be it. The browser should not be making our choices for us....no matter how twisted, or benign, those choices may be.

Just my thoughts on this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree, macnutt; people must take responsibility for what they look at, so censorship should be out of the question. Besides, if you don't learn how to deal with the smut and the crap out there, what are you going to do when you come across it for the first time?

Of course, living in Singapore for two years may have influenced that opinion. ^_~ Censorship of sex was so rigid that couples began pouring into fertility clinics because they were "infertile" -- truth was, they didn't know *how* to procreate. Censorship began to loosen up around 1998 because of this -- they even started producing a Singaporean Maxim magazine.

Okay, I'm rambling off-topic again. :/ *shuts up*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts