Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
if you are looking for a slick and simple torrent client go with Xtorrent, there is a cost, but it is minor really

· Registered
394 Posts
xtorrent is weak sauce. Transmission is where its at. Spend your money on a pay for torrent site like demonoid was. On a side note, apparently demonoid has been relaunched, with a different name though.
transmission is buggy and slow...

crash........crash..........

· Registered
394 Posts
While I'm sure everyone here is discussing the great benefits of legal torrents and public-domain stuff (cough), I'll open myself up for ridicule by reminding participants that if you "accidentally" download something that is commercially release and/or copyrighted, you are morally obligated to pay the content creator and/or copyright holder. Stealing really does hurt the artist more than anyone else in the process.

Not saying anyone's stealing. Just a reminder, like "don't smoke." :)
save it man...

every-time the word torrent comes up, people feel this need to hop on a soap box, did you ever buy a blank VHS tape, or cassette tape?

did you lend it to a friend, oh my god he may have copied it!

there is a black sedan across the street!

seriously, i know you intentions are good, but please dont feel compelled to "protect" us all every time a legitimate software thread turns to torrents.

there is a plethora of legal software and media available via bit torrents.

i think your solution is part of the larger problem

· Registered
394 Posts
Yes. Are you really that completely ignorant of the 1983 Betamax case? It's completely legal to tape for personal use, at least in the US (I'm aware I'm in a different country now, but still)

I don't generally "lend" my stuff to friends, no. I take the "personal use" part of "personal use" fairly seriously. What part of "personal use" are YOU having trouble with?

PS. What other people do is not my responsibility, morally or legally. Cain had it right when he said (originally in question form) "I am not my brother's keeper."

Wasn't my intention to "protect" anyone, if I wanted to "protect" you I'd have called you all thieves and condemned your souls to hell for stealing. :)

I was reminding people that SOMEONE worked hard to make the things people download from torrents, whether it's a movie OR A LINUX DISTRO. It's irrelevant to what I said whether the torrent is being used to do something illegal or perfectly legal.

All I *actually said* was that if you download something that doesn't belong to you, you are morally obligated to pay for it unless it's been explicitly made clear that payment is not required. Even then, I donate to things like NeoOffice in order to SUPPORT THE WORK, not because I "should" or "have to" but because I want to.

Yes there is, and my comments apply EQUALLY to those uses -- if you use it, pay for it (by donation or other forms of support if no direct-compensation model is required). But to pretend that the vast majority of torrent use isn't for illegal copying is BS and undermines your credibility.

I'd love to hear a fuller explanation of what this remark means. Seriously.

a) what was my "solution"? Looking back over my post, I don't see where I advocated one. I suggested that if you take something, you pay for it. It's the same model I use at the grocery store, and works very well for all involved. :)

b) what is the "larger problem" caused by proposing that people pay for what they take from the content creator/copyright holder?

bottom line, my point was....
YOU are off topic, should you wish to have a pulpit from which to preach, i ma willing to bet that I am not alone here in suggesting that I/we would prefer you chose another.

bottom line, i dont care what you pa for, support or think about what you suppose people's moral obligations are.

your post was unnecessary, and out of place.

perhaps you should start a "Morality" thread in the Everything else section and see how that goes...

BACK to The TOPIC

Perhaps my experience with tranny was poor for some reason other than the softare itself.

I may try it again, that said i do have Xtorrent ( paid license!)

are there any reasons that people might choose Tranny over X?

Cheers

· Registered
394 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.