Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
}<-('o')-
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This juxtaposition of links just illustrates a sad reality ...even while fighting for their cause, many of these types of organizations can be losing the battle right on their own home front.
Toronto Humane Society | Top Stories
Humane Society: 'It seems like house of horrors' - thestar.com
Sure it's easy to blame the management etc (and time will tell how much culpability is where)...but the root of the problem does not sit with mostly charitable and chronically overburdened and underfunded organizations such as these..... It lies with the sadly irresponsible people that:

- choose not to adequately control and take responsibility for their un-neutered or un-spayed animals and allow them to create these unwanted litters.

- do not properly train or handle their pets causing behavioral problems that nobody wants - but the humane societies are obligated to take.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree, especially at times like these where everyone is concerned about their own jobs and their own money, where the media spends so much time teaching people how to hoard and keep every penny, it must be taking a major toll on charities in general. Not only are these charities getting less funding and fewer volunteers, they probably have more to do as well, since people are less likely to fulfill their own responsibilities and more likely to try to dump them on someone else if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
It is mostly politics. It is a fight between 2 groups over the control of money and management of the THS. It's been going on for years.
Yes, the SPCA wants the majority of the money to distribute, but they rarely distribute fairly.
The shelter that they closed in March where I live had a single donor every year of a hefty chunk of change, the donor thought it went to "that" shelter, sadly, the SPCA kept 80% of it even though this shelter was in desperate need of it.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
It is mostly politics. It is a fight between 2 groups over the control of money and management of the THS. It's been going on for years.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

This isn't politics.

The Toronto group thinks it's okay to let animals suffer until they die.

The Ontario group thinks it is humane to put suffering animals, who will never recover, to death.

That is why the Toronto Humane Society faces charges. That is why the Crown and the police supported and laid charges. These are cruelty charges, and they are as gross as you can get if you love animals or if you don't.

Look at what was found in the Toronto Humane Society offices so far; and then wait for the trials of those charged.

Then come back here and let us know if you still think this is all about "politics." That is what the Tim Trow and the THS want you to believe. Give your head a shake and see how this plays out.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,036 Posts
"The Toronto group thinks it's okay to let animals suffer until they die.

The Ontario group thinks it is humane to put suffering animals, who will never recover, to death."

From the online discussions my wife has had with dachshund breeders in the GTA, this seems to be the general concensus. I am with the Ontario group on this issue.

I personally have had to make the difficult decision to put down a few of our dogs when they got so old or sick that the quality of life was vastly deminished and they were suffering. It is not an easy decision, but seeing the video on CBC news of this shelter, many of those animals were suffering greatly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the issues at hand seem to be black and white. We really are not privy to the backroom dealings and undercurrents between the 2 group. Both of parties are politically connected.

I remember a few years ago. A group headed by Liz Brown won some sort of vote and took control of the THS. Ontario group at that point said they would stop funding the THS. THS itself has such a large donor base, they really didn't need money from the ontario group.

as with the charges, the animal cruelty laws are crafted by these animal rights organization like ospca and ths. The Crown and police depends on their expertise to enforce these laws. The fact that THS got charged, only mean OSPCA has lots of legal and political muscle behind them. Media outlets got tipped off before the fact. We will have to see how it all plays out in court. I would not be surprised if the charges are all withdrawn at some point.

the fact is the ospca is ousting the current leadership in THS by using criminal law, instead of corporate law. OSPCA will try to put their own slade of directors and ceo to run THS. We will see how the current THS leadership fight back.

The point is, whoever wins, 80% of the funds still goes toward administration, 20% gets on the ground. Therefore, OSPCA and THS is perpectually short of funds, never enough money to take care of animal.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
So you don't care that animals were suffering at the hands of the Toronto Humane Society, and it only matters that somebody cut off somebody's funding.

Thanks for clearing that up.

As for the THS "fighting back," it's done, it's over, there will be no "fighting back." This isn't political; it's criminal. They have only one task now: apologize for letting animals suffer and die painfully, and hope they don't spend a very long time in jail for not only allowing but insisting that this is how you treat them.

the issues at hand seem to be black and white. We really are not privy to the backroom dealings and undercurrents between the 2 group. Both of parties are politically connected.

I remember a few years ago. A group headed by Liz Brown won some sort of vote and took control of the THS. Ontario group at that point said they would stop funding the THS. THS itself has such a large donor base, they really didn't need money from the ontario group.

as with the charges, the animal cruelty laws are crafted by these animal rights organization like ospca and ths. The Crown and police depends on their expertise to enforce these laws. The fact that THS got charged, only mean OSPCA has lots of legal and political muscle behind them. Media outlets got tipped off before the fact. We will have to see how it all plays out in court. I would not be surprised if the charges are all withdrawn at some point.

the fact is the ospca is ousting the current leadership in THS by using criminal law, instead of corporate law. OSPCA will try to put their own slade of directors and ceo to run THS. We will see how the current THS leadership fight back.

The point is, whoever wins, 80% of the funds still goes toward administration, 20% gets on the ground. Therefore, OSPCA and THS is perpectually short of funds, never enough money to take care of animal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
with the new group running the show, things will not changed that much on the ground. The (policy) talking points may be changed, but there is no extra funds alloted to back it up. It's only talk. The workers are left with rules but no money to excute the policy.The animals will still be fed with expired pet food, or not eat at all. May be they will get put down earlier for lack of space or food.

it is like the conservative government talk of law and order to excite their base. not willing to raise tax, no money to backup the policy. no funding for building more prisons, hire more guards.

My point is whoever wins in the end, the welfare of the animals dont change much. The faces at the top may change, the top managers still get the top salaries and bonuses. Their policy might change a bid, but no extra money is getting on the ground, so the sad situation for the animals wont be changing anytime soon. If anything, there is less oversight. No one is left to challenge how thing are being runned.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
No money for cat food? Interesting since the board members seem to think there is enough cash in the budget to pay for their legal fees from donor's money.

What I see here is fat cat lawyers, skinny felines.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
with the new group running the show, things will not changed that much on the ground. The (policy) talking points may be changed, but there is no extra funds alloted to back it up. It's only talk. The workers are left with rules but no money to excute the policy.The animals will still be fed with expired pet food, or not eat at all. May be they will get put down earlier for lack of space or food.

it is like the conservative government talk of law and order to excite their base. not willing to raise tax, no money to backup the policy. no funding for building more prisons, hire more guards.

My point is whoever wins in the end, the welfare of the animals dont change much. The faces at the top may change, the top managers still get the top salaries and bonuses. Their policy might change a bid, but no extra money is getting on the ground, so the sad situation for the animals wont be changing anytime soon. If anything, there is less oversight. No one is left to challenge how thing are being runned.
This was exactly the case here in my home town. But the OSPCA still took all the money in the end (after a few management changes), still closed the shelter. And now the animals have nowhere to go except where they are "dropped off", which turns out to be a small town 15 minutes out of Woodstock.
All of this would have been avoided if the OSPCA took the EXTRA money AFTER operating costs, proper medicine/food/shelter for the animals, instead of taking it all and handing back what "they saw fit" for a shelter of that size.

I would bet my left nut, it's a similar situation for the Toronto one. But the OSPCA will have you believe it's not their fault.
It costs a LOT of money to even put a cat down, if you don't have that money, you try to make the best of it, but to an outsider it'll look like cruelty. But if they just snapped their neck, or found another "free" way, it would also be cruelty.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,036 Posts
At our local shelter her in St.John's, I make donations in the form of dog food. My dogs are show dogs, and we do not feed them the brand of dog food that sponsors the CKC dog shows here in NL. So, when one of my dachshunds wins a bag of dog food, we bring it to the SPCA shelter. This way, no money is wasted on administration, and the dogs get the full advantage of this donation.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
The two groups are autonomous.

In any case, it wasn't about it being 'expensive' to put animals down, or not. It's about philosophy. The Toronto group wanted the sickest animals to live as long as possible, regardless of their suffering, in the hope that they would get adopted and get treated---long past the point at which either was at all possible.

No other "humane" society acts like that. It's universally seen as one definition of cruelty to animals. That's why they were charged with criminal acts.

Are people not getting that these 'animal welfare experts' are charged with being cruel to animals? You think it's a money thing, or politics?

What next? Are we going to start discussing the living conditions of the THS employees, and not their cruelty to animals? What bus they took to work, and not that they made animals suffer needlessly?

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
The two groups are autonomous.

In any case, it wasn't about it being 'expensive' to put animals down, or not. It's about philosophy. The Toronto group wanted the sickest animals to live as long as possible, regardless of their suffering, in the hope that they would get adopted and get treated---long past the point at which either was at all possible.

No other "humane" society acts like that. It's universally seen as one definition of cruelty to animals. That's why they were charged with criminal acts.

Are people not getting that these 'animal welfare experts' are charged with being cruel to animals? You think it's a money thing, or politics?

What next? Are we going to start discussing the living conditions of the THS employees, and not their cruelty to animals? What bus they took to work, and not that they made animals suffer needlessly?
In all the articles, I haven't read about the "Philosophy", but I'll check that out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
I just saw the video of the cat in the ceiling. I take what I said back, it's clearly not the same situation that we experienced here. My apologies, it's ****ing sick ****.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I just saw the video of the cat in the ceiling. I take what I said back, it's clearly not the same situation that we experienced here. My apologies, it's ****ing sick ****.
No kidding. I want to see those involved in jail. It isn't just about the cat in the ceiling. There are dozens of other pictures taken as part of the investigation. I didn't know whether to cry or throw up seeing them.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
You have to use live traps when the vicious ones get away, but how could you forget that it was in the ceiling.... it COULD have been a volunteer or staff that had left, and failed to mention it was up there...

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
You have to use live traps when the vicious ones get away, but how could you forget that it was in the ceiling.... it COULD have been a volunteer or staff that had left, and failed to mention it was up there...
My understanding is that many animals would go behind the walls as well. I don't know how you could account for them, treat them, feed them, if this was allowed to happen.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OSPCA is certainly winning the media battle. The innuendo is that, oh look up here, there is even a dead cat in the ceiling. It is unfortunate, scared animals gets behind the wall or up in the ceiling and dont want to be caught, there really is no practical way to get them out until they stop moving like after they expire. Who knows when the cat expired, most likely weeks ago, or it could have been the day before they took the picture. It is bad optics for the THS management. Really the picture does not prove bad management, I doubt the OSPCA could have done any better with the cat.

OSPCA is certainly a large organization (private entity), may or may not be affiliated with SPCA south of the border. They are accountable to no one, as they are private. I notice their insurance arm is an paid advertizer here. Get this, they are entitle to enforce the law as they see fit. (They crafted the law and amend them from time to time). OSPCA is trying to reclaim the cashcow THS back under their umbrella

The really interesting part, is to see how they actually accomplish this in the courts.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts