Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
peek-a-boo
17,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to hear from others who they deal with, and why they like who they deal with. The two I've dealt with ranged from "you bought it you got it and don't expect any service" to, "good advice except they're hard to get a hold of and never return emails.
Am I being too picky here?

I as a relatively new mac guy wanted to hear about other retailers in Toronto. Or do you think I'm better off using the Apple online store.

edit>> I really don't want to turn this into a "bash a retailer" thread. I want to hear what's good.

[ November 20, 2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: groovetube ]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, there are really 4 big Apple places in T.O. as far as I know.

Carbon Computing, CPUsed, Northstar and CSC (Computer Systems Center).

Of the lot I tend to favour Carbon, they are a pretty cool bunch. They're out at Queen and Broadview.

Haven't really bought anything huge from them and never had to try their service department or anything, but seems like a good shop, they've been around for 10 years.

I've purchased one thing or another at all the other stores. Never really had a problem with any of them.

I've had good experience with Apple Online. At least until recently. I'm trying to order a new laptop from them and it just seems to be taking way too long. I keep getting 'unexpected delay' messages and they push out my delivery date.

·
Registered
359 Posts
hello,

I can't tell nothing about Toronto because I live in France near Paris but I've a question about Apple Store.

Are they as lying as here or is this specific to our continent?

Their service is good, but they always shorten the delay for delivery. It's very annoying because of installing a bad climate.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Alrighty then....

My 18 years of Mac purchasing in GTA, for both myself and clients, in order, best to worst:

Macdoc
U of T bookstore
Red Tag (pre-CPUsed)
Digital Prototypes
Canadian Computer
CPUsed
MacWarehouse
Future Shop

Several others I liked have gone oob - The Mac Store, Elm Street, one on Hurontario in Miss., one on Atlantic in TO...

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I'm trying to order a new laptop from them and it just seems to be taking way too long. I keep getting 'unexpected delay' messages and they push out my delivery date.
Unfortunately, everyone is the same boat. My last 15" shipment was Oct. 29th and Apple can't tell us when the next ones are coming. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Groovetube,

Over time i've had the chance to checkout pretty much all of the resellers in the GTA. By far (personal opinion), the best one out of the bunch is Digital Prototypes. I can't tell you how satisfied I am with their service & support -- they are great! Just off the 427 on Browns Line.

Cheers,
Darren

·
Registered
291 Posts
Unfortunately, everyone is the same boat. My last 15" shipment was Oct. 29th and Apple can't tell us when the next ones are coming. Very frustrating!
Frustrating maybe, but maybe also for good reason. Hopefully they're working out that white spot screen problem BEFORE they ship the machines. Having recently gone through the experience of getting a new powerbook only to have to return it after 3 days of use to have a motherboard problem first identified, then repaired, I think I would rather have endured the initial wait for a unit more likely to be up to parr out of the box than having the little beaut in my hands for a couple of days and then returning it for repair. THAT was frustrating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Apple's ears must have been burning. Not long after posting my messsage, I recieved a shipment notification ( :D :D :D ).

It's already in FedEx's tracking system and is actually shipping straight from Taiwan. Anything else I've ever ordered from Apple has always started from California.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes we are in the same boat,

I order my PowerBook G4 17' january 18 2003 and receive it may 12 2003.

Patience, patience.

During this period I don't receive any information from Apple, only reading fora.
I wait for work with a client, he is waiting his 15' also, I must made this system operational in his doctor office.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
There are also some Mac dealers who mainly deal with business clients but they do seel retail as well...

I have had great service and support from:
Creative Technologies
Global Graphics
Partners Graphic Suport
Solutions in Computing

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I hate to say it but...
I bought my Lombard at CPUsed this past March and when
the keyboard keys started falling off for no apparent reason
I took it back to CPUsed, They looked at it and told me that
they would replace the keyboard under warranty.

They replaced the keyboard on the spot and I got it back
while I waited in their showroom in about half an hour.
The thing I liked about CPUsed is the second hand
computer warranty is good for one year from the purchase
date, Whereas other dealers tend to have only a 90 day
warranty at the very most.

The prices of their used equipment can be over priced but
it's all relative when you factor in the warranty, Although
there are some items that they have had in the past that are
pretty competively priced...Like their laptops.

They also sell new equipment and if you are smart you can
go next door to the PCUsed section and buy PC parts that
will work in a Mac...Like cheaper hard drives.
Although...I think they have been trying to head off that
from happenning lately by only including certain used parts
with a PC purchase, I did however buy my KDS monitor at
PCUsed for an excellent price at the time when other
monitors were about a $100. more.

Carbon is another great place to buy computers from, If
you are going to shop at Carbon then it's better to shop in
person, You might see something in the store that isn't
listed on their website.

I used to shop at MacWarehouse when it was open to the
public on Queen st.east at Broadview, But now they are only
a catalog outfit, Occasionally there are some deals on their
website.

Clickon Mac is another interesting dealer that has a
website and recently had their garage sale (Which I missed
...Damn it), Some people I know swear by them.

There is a few others...But I haven't been to them,
So I won't comment on them.

Talked about links:

www.cpused.com
www.pcused.com
www.macwarehouse.ca
www.carbonation.com
www.clickonmacs.com

Honorable mentions for MacDoc and 1st ave,
Although they are not in T.O. but they both have some
great deals, Also First ave has a nice Buy and Sell section.

www.macdoc.com
http://www.firstavenue.com/

Dave :cool:

[ November 20, 2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.