Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah! So exciting! :) I love aquariums.. fish.. sea life.. etc.

I'm not sure why some Toronto citizens are complaining over this; I've wondered for many years why a city like Toronto never had an aquarium. Details of Toronto?s aquarium are massive - thestar.com.

Contracts could be signed as early as this summer, triggering construction to get the 150,000-square-foot watery attraction —Toronto’s first big new tourist magnet since the Hockey Hall of Fame almost 20 years ago — ready for July 2015, when visitors will stream into Pan Am Games events at the neighbouring Rogers Centre.

“There will be tens of thousands of different (marine) animals, and some features that will be unique to Toronto,” Pattison added, including a moving walkway taking visitors through “the largest underwater tunnel in North America,” with fish, possibly including sharks, all around them.

·
Premium Member
43,051 Posts
“There will be tens of thousands of different (marine) animals, and some features that will be unique to Toronto,” Pattison added, including a moving walkway taking visitors through “the largest underwater tunnel in North America,” with fish, possibly including sharks, all around them.]
Lars, these people have obviously never seen Jaws 3-D. Much can be learned about construction of such facilities from these movies.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Really excited about this! I love aquariums. Went to the one in Boston a couple of times.

My kids will love this, we always stop at the local fish store to look at the aquariums. I imagine this will be quite a bit cooler. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I'll be going for sure.

This has been a long time coming. There has been talk of an aquarium for a couple of decades. It always got sidelined for one reason or another. It's an expensive venture but payback in added tourism will make it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
that would be amazing..
so I do not have to drive to Marineland any more. Yeah! ( hopefully it cost less than that )
lets hope it is privately run and constructed too. ( that way union cost overruns is not our problem. )
last thing we need is another skydome.. (over $580 million the stadium cost to build. But the aging 50,000-seat stadium has been steadily going down in price since opening in 1989. It sold for $151 million in 1994 and Sportsco paid $80 million when it bought SkyDome out of bankruptcy court in April 1999. then Ted Rogers paid $25 million - what a joke.. )

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am all for a really decent Aquarium facility, perhaps they could find a way to reopen the McLaughlin Planetarium that Mike Harris shuttered, while they are at it. It is criminal that a city the size of Toronto no longer has a planetarium. They found the cash to build that Libskind designed eyesore addition to the ROM. Yes the space was needed, but man it is one stupid looking addition.

·
Premium Member
43,051 Posts
I am all for a really decent Aquarium facility, perhaps they could find a way to reopen the McLaughlin Planetarium that Mike Harris shuttered, while they are at it. It is criminal that a city the size of Toronto no longer has a planetarium. They found the cash to build that Libskind designed eyesore addition to the ROM. Yes the space was needed, but man it is one stupid looking addition.
Yep, that Crystal looks like absolute hell--and has failed to do what it was supposed to--present a bunch of dino skeletons in full view of the public.

The planetarium isn't much of an attraction at this point anyway, since much of what the planetarium could once offer is now readily available on movie screens, computers and at home. At one point, a planetarium was the sole way in which people could be shown the heavens in an educational way. At the end of its run, the McLaughlin Planetarium was trying to perk up business by showing then-state-of-the-art crap like Laser Beatles.

·
Premium Member
23,535 Posts
Hey, my tax dollars at work!

Enjoy, I won't be by to see it.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I really hope this is done properly. It'd be really nice to have an interesting attraction that also looked great too. Instead of some ultra quirky crystal monstrosity; they should design the facade of the building to reflect the heritage of the area. And I'm not revering to a giant slate mass of concrete either!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.