Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out and got a 40" LED HDTV for use in my studio and after using it for 20 minutes I think I'm a little sun burnt! While I'm convinced that one big monitor is the way to go I'm not so sure about this. The picture is ok and I actually went with using a DVI to VGA cord instead of DVI to HDMI. Fonts don't look as harsh using the VGA input. I'm sitting about 3 and a half feet back and it's fine with darker web pages but the whites absolutely kill my eyeballs- even with backlighting, brightness and contrast settings lowered. I guess this TV is going to live in the master bedroom....

Now that Apple has killed the 30" Cinema Display, what's the next best thing? The one Dell makes?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Too Close

It's not that it is too big. You are too close. Get an old typing table or even a folding TV table from Walmart so that you can set up your mouse and keyboard at the right distance from the screen. That should get you away from the "I'm sitting in the front row at thetheatre watching a Star Wars movie" effect.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not that it is too big. You are too close. Get an old typing table or even a folding TV table from Walmart so that you can set up your mouse and keyboard at the right distance from the screen. That should get you away from the "I'm sitting in the front row at thetheatre watching a Star Wars movie" effect.
Point taken. I mean to say it's too big for my space. I can't really move back too much more with the gear I have. This was just a bad idea. Cheaper than a 30" Dell or even a 27" Apple display but still a bad idea.

If I can swing it I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff and grab two 27" Apple displays and stop the madness!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Point taken. I mean to say it's too big for my space. I can't really move back too much more with the gear I have. This was just a bad idea. Cheaper than a 30" Dell or even a 27" Apple display but still a bad idea.

If I can swing it I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff and grab two 27" Apple displays and stop the madness!
FYI: There are some 27" LED refurbs at the Apple store at the moment.

Out of curiosity: which Samsung model did you get?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've actually been checking the Refurb store all morning (since 5am) and I've seen nothing about Displays. Are you sure you're looking on the Canadian Store?

I got a Samsung 5000 series. Great TV. Wanna buy it!?:)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, I'm losing my mind. I didn't realize getting new Apple Displays for my 2006 Mac Pro would be so mind bending. Can someone who actually knows about this stuff send me a link to the proper video card I need to upgrade to? I have a macpro1,1 and I want a card that has two mini display ports for two 27" ACD. Thanks in advanced! This 40 incher is hurting my brain.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've actually been checking the Refurb store all morning (since 5am) and I've seen nothing about Displays. Are you sure you're looking on the Canadian Store?

I got a Samsung 5000 series. Great TV. Wanna buy it!?:)
Yep, I am looking at the Canadian Store: Does this link work for you? Refurbished Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) - Apple Store (Canada)

Edit: uh-oh... now that I have posted this for you they are out of stock... sorry bud. Dell does have their 30"er on sale at the moment: DELL Dell - UltraSharp U3011 30-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor : Computer Components | Dell Canada Although that might be Too Big or more than you want to spend.

I am shopping for an HDTV / Monitor. So, I'd consider it. Where are you located?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts