Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, I am a big DropBox fan. It has been a great way to:
- get documents to my iPhone (and now iPad)
- sync docs between home and work
- version control for documents
- share docs using tiny urls

My brother has loads of $$$ and likes MobileMe.

However, both store data outside in the US. FIPPA (privacy law) in BC prohibits public institutions from storing other people's personal information outside of Canada, so I have been looking for an alternative. I started down the SFTP, FTPS, WebDAV to home or work pc, but then came across Tonido

Anyone have experience with this? It is free, stores stuff on your home machine, facilitates easy (direct) connection to home pc's via the web or mobile Apps, runs on Mac, PC, iPhone, Android, etc.

So how secure is it (it kinda kracks open your entire HD to the web)? How can we be sure data isn't stored in the US? I appreciate that there is no sync or version control (that is ok i have time machine)

Chime in !

- d

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alas - When you first set it up, it defaults to using "Tonido Relay Service" which is plug-and-play, BUT routes all your data through the Tonido servers.

(once installed on your Mac you will find it here: http://127.0.0.1:10001/ui/core/index.html#settings-network )

Sadly, You need to turn Tonido Relay Service OFF, and(on the same web page):
1 - activate tonido web access
2 - activate tonido network settings

then set up port forwarding on your router (find its address in your network settings. google around to get its password):
3 - port forward tcp 10001 to your local machine's ip

router port configuration instructions can be found here:
Port Forwarding Instructions By Router Type
http://www.tonido.com/router_selector_page.html

Finally, now you are stuck leaving your Mac 'on' all the time. You will want to set tonidomac to start on login (just right-click on the icon in the dock and find "open at login" under "options")

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow, I did not know about this law in Vancouver. Do other provinces have similar laws?

Anyway another thought, and I am not sure how much data you have to store.
Have you considered setting up your own network storage system where you would have a copy of your data stored in another place of your choosing.

Drobo now has hardware and software that will accommodate this i.e. two drobo boxes will sync with each other remotely.

I am sure there is other equipment out there that will also accomplish this.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
l

Wow, I did not know about this law in Vancouver. Do other provinces have similar laws?

Anyway another thought, and I am not sure how much data you have to store.
Have you considered setting up your own network storage system where you would have a copy of your data stored in another place of your choosing.

Drobo now has hardware and software that will accommodate this i.e. two drobo boxes will sync with each other remotely.

I am sure there is other equipment out there that will also accomplish this.
Yes, I am considering the SAN devices. I actually have one for local use, but it only supports FTP (unsecure) so I don't let it past the firewall. It is from iomega and constantly gets (good) updates, so the future mught be better.

A couple things I like about DropBox and Tonido that I likely wont get from a SAN FTP is being able to generate public links to files, and being able to recover files from backup.

Regarding Tonido, I am not sure it even uses transport level security (ssl), so how secure is it?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would think it should be possible to allow "Public" access from a SAN but I am not familiar with how you can set it up.

Good Luck with your project.

DavidH

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think it should be possible to allow "Public" access from a SAN but I am not familiar with how you can set it up.

Good Luck with your project.

DavidH
The trick is making a 'hard to guess' URL on demand (file by file) that can be shared with individuals, without making the files obviously available to the entire world

1 - 7 of 7 Posts