Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a Mac retailer yesterday and noticed they had a copy of Toast 6. The price seemed the same as before and I was considering buying it. Unfortunately, the system requirements say you need OSX.2 (Jaguar). There was nothing on the box about OS9 support.

Does anyone know if Roxio will continue to support OS9 with updates to Toast 5?

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Who knows? My guess would be that they will be supporting only OS X from now on, and why not? OS 9 is dead. The writing was on the wall years ago. I don't see how it's in the interests of any major software company to produce versions of major new applications for two OS versions when one of them is defunct.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
here here Bill!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
It actually says right on their Toast 6 Webpage

"Toast 6 runs on Mac OS X only, Mac® OS 9 users, see Toast 5 Titanium "

As to actually updating Toast 5, who knows. I would guess not, as v5.2.1 is pretty complete and fairly bug free, not to mention replaced by version 6.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
With regard to the issue of continuing OS 9 development for major apps - I don't think that we'll be seeing much of it.

There was a short "grace period" of about a year, with various manufacturers smoothing the transition to OS X by temporarily taking on the burden of developing apps that work in both environments, but that's pretty well over now.

The next round of Adobe updates will be OS X only. Microsoft pulled the plug on OS 9 quite a while ago, with Office X. Quark was slow off the mark, but has finally come through with an OS X only version.

Most importantly, Apple Computer has pretty well dropped development of OS 9, except for its role as the Classic Environment of OS X. There is no longer an OS 9 development team at Apple - they have been broken up and re-assigned.

So, the classic Mac OS is pretty much a dead issue - time to get over it and upgrade your hardware and software to OS X.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You know, for the last few days people have been drooling about G5s -- and now we're raving about OS X... but I tested one of those G5 puppies this week. For all the hype, it's one slow-ass machine. And I don't blame the machine. I blame the system software.

OS X is still a beast that moves like an elephant. Jaguar my butt.

At least in OS 9 when I open an app *BANG!* it's there!

By the way, if you look in my profile, I list Jaguar as my fav Mac app. Why? Because it's cool-looking and fairly stable. But definitely not for its speed.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
By the way, if you look in my profile, I list Jaguar as my fav Mac app. Why? Because it's cool-looking and fairly stable. But definitely not for its speed.
Well, speed is subjective - I find the speed of OS X quite satisfactory on my souped-up G4 Sawtooth.

Like it or not, though, OS X the only game in town. The only real alternative is (retch!!) Win XP. Fooling around with OS 9 is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as it approaches the iceberg.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
I agree with Bill...OS9 took us as far as it could..but face it..Macs needed a revamped OS..OS9 was the last straw...and people were getting to the point they needed full preemptive multitasking and a solid OS..OSX I have loved from the beginning..and it IS FAST if you have supported hardware...not expost facto on a stock 7500/100
what do you expect! OSX is the future...and OS9 is where it should be and very deserving of it..In the classic OS heaven!..Cheers...and yes OSXC is even a beautiful looking OS too even though it would be even better if it was easily customizable too...hopefully soon :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
..and it IS FAST if you have supported hardware...
You mean like "the world's fastest personal computer" the G5?

Maybe somebody can do an experiment. Open up iMovie in a G5. How long does it take? Do the same thing with iMovie1 or 2 in OS 9. Faster or slower? I bet a G3 with OS 9 can beat a G5 in that test.

That's not to say the G3 is faster overall, especially when you're doing more cumbersome tasks like video rendering, but these little lag times that happen if you're constantly opening and closing documents and files gets annoying after awhile.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Thanks for the link PosterBoy. Now a more basic question is Who needs Toast? It is a fairly pricey app and if you don't use all the extra features such as backup or sharing a burner across a network, is it really better than burning from iLife apps or Finder?

No opinion, just asking.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toast is an important app since it provides drivers for the latest CD and DVD burners. I don't mind using Toast 5 for OS9 as long as it will provide driver updates.

Toast 5 is a carbon app so it will work on 9 or X. I seems to me it would be more work to develop a native OSX app at this point. I doubt that Toast is such a heavy duty app that it needs to have a native X version for efficiency. My guess is there has been a little pressure (threat) from Apple to go native X.

OS9 is far from dead. Apple wants it to be dead so they can sell more new computers to power starved OSX users. OSX looks cool, but I got over it long ago. I wonder now what a classic OS10 might have been like.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Now a more basic question is Who needs Toast?
Actually Toast 6 has some dramatic new capabilities that would appeal to people interested in creating SVCDs, burning from bin/cue files etc. You can see some of its improvements and new features here

On the other hand, because Toast 5 was lacking these features, there have been a number of shareware apps created such as Firestarter and MissingMediaBurner that filled in these blanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just picked up Toast 6 today, much better then 5 for audio and video professionals.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
iMovie 3 is slow on every machine I have tried it on. I am not sure why, but I would attribute it to the app itself, not OS X or the machine it is running on.

OS X, on newer hardware, runs jim dandy. It runs satisfactorily on my iBook 600 too, with a lousy video card and a teensy L2 cache. I have a lot of RAM, which makes the difference.

I have run across this a few times, where people judge the speed of the machine by the speed of a single app, and usually that app is a less than stellar one.

For what it is worth, iMovie 3 made the shift to cocoa and took a big speed hit along the way. I am not sure the exact reason for the speed hit as i am not a programmer. YOu would have to ask Apple.

As for Toast, have you ever tried to burn a multi session backup CD in the finder? Probably not. Know why? You can't. YOu also can't burn a S/VCD any other way. And that Distributed burning thing is freaking cool.

For 100 bucks (or 119 CDN, whatever it is going for here) you get a lot of features.

--PB

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am drooling over the G5's promise but will wait for Spring maybe {Dual 3ghz}... AND PANTHER...

Professionally OS 9 is still King... No one we deal with is rushing to X or QX6... yet...

Many of you have already finished shoveling but the casket is not even in the grave... Apple is not developing OS9 further but they have stopped making "OSX Only" G4's and will continue to sell Dual Boot G4 for as long as there is demand....

My next Macs will be G5s and I won't want to bother with Classic, but not yet...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts