ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently running El Capitan on a mid 2010 iMac. 12 Gb Ram - runs fine, just a bit slower these days (both me and my machine)

I still have and use InDesign for serious layout, but for quick notes to friends I use Pages 09.

I understand Apple has released a 2018 update, which has some of the missing features returned, but does not appear to be available for El Capitan.

Two Step Question

A) Is the latest iWork update any good? runs OK? ( I believe the coming end to 32bit compliance will doom the older versions anyway)

B) High Sierra - OK? worth upgrading? Problems I should know about
I suspect it might be the last OS which will run on my machine.

I’ve checked on line, read several reviews, but I’d like to hear members opinions.

·
Premium Member
17,946 Posts
I still have and use InDesign for serious layout, but for quick notes to friends I use Pages 09.
I still use Pages '09 on a regular basis. The newest update to iWork has returned some features (most notably for those of us who used it for multi-page layouts, the ability to link and flow text boxes again). Still a bunch of missing features, though. I'm on Sierra (12.6) and '09 still works fine. No idea about HS - I'm very gun-shy to move up, with the usual spate of horror stories floating around out there...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I’m also on 10.12.6 and using Pages V. 7, which runs well. I’m very reluctant about ‘upgrading’ to High Sierra because of it’s bad press, especially about bricking external hard drives. It’s the first time I haven’t upgraded the OS since returning to Macs nine years ago.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
FWIW I am running with 10.13.4 HS and have had zero issues on my late 2015 MBP with 16 GB RAM which includes four external HDs for two clone backups, Time Machine and iTunes. Pages much improved and works just fine but do not use InDesign. OTOH CS3 runs just fine.

·
Registered
428 Posts
FWIW I am running with 10.13.4 HS and have had zero issues on my late 2015 MBP with 16 GB RAM which includes four external HDs for two clone backups, Time Machine and iTunes. Pages much improved and works just fine but do not use InDesign. OTOH CS3 runs just fine.

Did you take special precautions with the external HDs when installing HS?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everybody

Good to know about CS3!

Has anyone found an app which is broken by High Sierra?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Currently running El Capitan on a mid 2010 iMac. 12 Gb
A) Is the latest iWork update any good? runs OK? ( I believe the coming end to 32bit compliance will doom the older versions anyway)
See my thread ("well bugger me...") Pages not a patch on InDesign. I use CS5.5 under High Sierra without problem except it crashes on exit (not an issue if you save your work first). Waiting (anxiously?) for Serif to release their beta of Publisher this summer (one year late!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts