Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping by now or close to now there would have been some annoucement of new hardware coming out to coincide with leopard. Now that its been put off till october thanks to a phone we will not able to get here for who nows how long...:) , I wanted to get a opinon of whether or not to upgrade my imac. I am sure this has been asked before possibly. Current iMac is 20" First gen Intel Core Duo. Was going to get the 24" iMac but maxxed out so to speak. Fastest Cpu,max video and largest hard drive... and anything i am not remembering at the moment.

Could possibly wait till october but perfer not to of course :eek: .... Any opinions?? Do i wait or bite into a new system that maybe be third rate by october 15???

thanks for any responses.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,688 Posts
There have been numerous other posts of late with this same question. You can expect a barrage of remarks that may make you feel a bit incompetent. I've been in the waiting game as well and will continue to do just that. No one knows. MacRumors.com will give you hints of when to buy. Most will agree that if you need one now, buy it. Others will say, if it's so near another cycle of revisions, hold off. Someone else might ask what you may use the iMac for and, if just using it for minimal tasks such as browing, email, etc., why wait for something better when the present iMac will do you just fine. I myself don't like buying something that is replaced the next week or month with something better. That's my nature. But it can be brutal. I may even give in this next week or so and go for an Apple Refurb. Photoshop is about the most I do on my desk, so in actuality, my Powerbook G4 I just sold, did just fine with that. I am waiting for the LED display, which may come this time or not. No help to you with these words, but I don't think anyone can tell you any more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,500 Posts
Buy! Hold! Prosper!

Oops wrong strategy.

Just buy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,798 Posts
I can't image Apple waiting until October to update iMacs (the current generation was announced September 6, 2006 - a whole year for any update?!?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
guytoronto said:
I can't image Apple waiting until October to update iMacs (the current generation was announced September 6, 2006 - a whole year for any update?!?).
My 'guess' is that Apple won't wait until October, but they probably will wait until August and release new iMacs and MacBooks in time for back to school. I'm also guessing/hoping that they will include some form of grandfather clause which will make these machines (and anything purchased during the back-to-school/back-to-work period eligible for a free Leopard upgrade.

However we could see something come out around the same time as the iPhone's launch. Apple has enjoyed a good halo effect from the iPod. They might try to capitalize on the iPhone's launch and release new consumer hardware at that time as well.

I think a lot depends on whether there will be design changes in either the iMac or MacBook. No design changes but simply bumps in specs and they won't need much in the way of marketing. Change in design, and they'd probably want the marketing 'window' to themselves and not take anything away from the iPhone's launch (or get lost in it).

Remember that the MacBook's design is relatively new, going back to January of 2006. The iMac's design is older.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems that the common theory is that there might be a redesign and that it may come sometime soon. As csonni said, if it does what you need now why bother. This is a good point as i can probably get away with what i have now and just wait. Being one of those who like the most recent products, i will probably grow more and more inpatient but if its that much of a change I am probably better off waiting to at least see what direction they are going to go... redesign or pumped up new version.

Problem is.... i am not a patient person :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,688 Posts
I am a bit more willing to wait right now after reading reports on the graininess issue with present MacBook Pros. I'm sure there will be those who ring in here with the contrary, but I'm not sure I am willing to shell out so much money with the possibility of not being pleased with the display. May be worth the wait (?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
I don't see much of an upgrade with the current C2D iMacs. Personally, if I'm going to invest in a 24" display, then I'd get an external one, which is brighter and far more flexible. I don't even feel right about a 20" iMac, because I'd like the freedom to use the LCD with a 360/PS3 and HD players, but this is my bias.

Having a Mac that does it all is very tempting, but the wisest move is to get a Windoze gaming machine for under $800 instead of shelling out top dollar for Apple's mediocre video card upgrades, IF this is what you want.

The 7600 GT is a $130 video card and should be standard on all iMacs, not as an upgrade option. I say NO to Apple's hardware mediocrity.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,415 Posts
As an owner of a 20" iMac CoreDuo -- I'm wondering what's driving you to upgrade? Is there something you want to do right now that you computer won't do? Personally, I love my 20"er and I think even with Final Cut Studio, CS3, etc... it still hums along really nicely and I can't see me wanting to upgrade unless there's something *really* special about the next Revision.

Do you just have "must have new" technolust? Or is there actually a reason for you to be ditching near top of the line (for Macs) technology?
 

·
Red Mage
Joined
·
258 Posts
I had to reread your post, and now I see that you are upgrading from a CORE DUO IMAC!!!!

Why bother??

Why not wait until your mac is dead in the ground, or at least half the speed of the new ones before you upgrade?!?

You just spent $2000 on a computer, and now you want to spend another $2200???

If you find it too slow, why not reinvest in a Mac pro instead?

I mean, come on!!

/rant ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,899 Posts
Jarooda said:
I had to reread your post, and now I see that you are upgrading from a CORE DUO IMAC!!!!
Why bother??
Why not wait until your mac is dead in the ground, or at least half the speed of the new ones before you upgrade?!?
You just spent $2000 on a computer, and now you want to spend another $2200???
Sssshhh! The rest of us rely on buyers with poor impulse control to provide us with good used Macs at a discount. Don't go edumacating the su.... I mean these fine Mac owners.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,530 Posts
Actually. Upgrading with speedbumps is a great idea. If you're getting rid of a core duo iMac, you can still sell it for a pretty good price. Which, will recoup a lot of the cost for the new machine.

I've got the first 17" iMac Core Duo and I'm waiting for Leopard to sell it. Tho, I may just buy new and give this to the GF, or my parents.
 

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
Joined
·
949 Posts
Damn I wish I had that much money. :lmao:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,841 Posts
Personally I wait until my current computer simply can't do what I want. Of course if you followed that philosophy you would be using a first gen eMac like yours truly.

Seriously the longer you wait the better the hardware, and the lower the price both of your new computer and the one you will want to sell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I always buy a new Mac if a project that I am working on will pay for the purchase. Other than that, I will just use my current Mac that can meet most of my requirements. I think this is an advantage of a non-power user ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
ohhhh if only I could get someone to buy me a Mac for a project. ;)

I've won awards, but never a dime, for the music I've composed. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
As said it sounds like you've got a decent machine as it is. However I know what you're going through. I've been debating what to do for a while but only because my iMac G5 crapped out on me otherwise I would have stuck with it. I buy when I need to and I was going to wait but with Leopard delayed and the Core 2 Duo iMacs on sale at Future Shop I picked one up on the weekend for 1299. It's a nice machine. I think I should be happy with it for a while. Compared to the iMac G5 it's amazingly fast running Final Cut Studio.
Just buy now or be happy with it until you need something better. I think we are sometimes too much of a throw-away society when it comes to technology... especially when we feed the need with money we don't have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well as stated by most, No totally legit reason to upgrade right now SO... will be waiting for the release of Leopard and the possible new iMacs that may come at sometime in the next 2-6 months and even then, the new hardware should be upgraded enough to justify the purchse.

And yes, I have many friends who benifit from my "gotta have new technolgy" problems... :p
 

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
Joined
·
949 Posts
Voxx, can I be your friend?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top