Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to buy a laptop,and was set on the Powerbook G4 12.1. My priorities are light weight for traveling and a good battery life, and I will be using it mostly for writing, book building, and surfing. However, adding up everything was getting pretty pricey and I found out Apple does not give any bundled deals. Now i hear there is a new iBook that is 4.9 pounds, which is only 3 oz more than the G4, but is much cheaper. Does anyone know about this model versus the G4?.
Also, do i need to buy the Applecare warranty too?
Thanks for all help.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
AppleCare is optional, and adds 2 years to the standard 1-year warranty (for a total of 3 years).

I tend to avoid extra-cost warranties of any kind, but with laptops I make an exception and spring for the extra coverage (they are very expensive to repair and have greater potential for damage as any portable device does). However, you may be covered under other insurance policies you already have; it's a decision you have to make yourself.

The 12" iBook is a great machine for the money. Real PowerBooks start at twice the price. iBooks tend to have slightly better battery life than PowerBooks.

Going to the 12" $1500 (CD-ROM drive) config page, I see some good options:
RAM: buy it 3rd-party
HD: a 40 gig drive upgrade is a bargain at $37
Airport card: yep
Extra battery: yep

$1854 without AppleCare

The $2000 iBook (Combo drive)
RAM: as above
HD: 40GB standard
Airport: yep
Battery : yep

$2317 without AppleCare

Incidentally, the new 1GB and 2GB RAM modules (currently you can only add 512MB for a total of 640MB) for these Powerbooks are on sale now in Germany. We should see them here sometime this year, making the RAM limitation of 640MB no longer a big drawback to the smaller iBooks.

For the uses you mentioned, these will do fine. If you plan to do video/audio editing to any great extent, consider the G4 PowerBooks instead.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Even an older iBook should satisfy those requirements ... my 2 centrinos

also some writers like a bigger screen for copy paste easiness

·
Registered
719 Posts
my 2 cents...

iBook.

combo drive (I can't believe how addicted I've become to being able to watch DVD movies anywhere, anytime) Just like how the CD replaced the 44 floppies required to load MS Wierd 6.0, I can see DVD's being used to replace the multiple CD installs that are showing up.

Max RAM. You can never be too rich, or have too much
RAM.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
iBook

Until further notice anyhow. Apple has done the iBook for sometime now, and this new 900 Mhz combo is the best that has come out in a little while - for $1999? All good. Unless you were looking for some DVD authoring - which can be an ext addition - on site. But I think that the iBooks solid case, small form factor, and now bump in speed? Just max out ram, and you will be enjoying thyself.

AppleCare can be added afterwards... like on the last day of the original warr.

Holla!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I would say go for an iBook. Unless you need to run heavy programs which your not then there is probably no need to by a powerbook. If you eventualy plan to get into heavy programs or games go for the powerbook. The new iBook with the 32mb video and 900Mhz should run most programs and games with no problems anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts