Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Message has been edited: I realize in the original post I came off as pretty arogant. That wasn't at all my intention, and I apologize to anyone who may have been offended. I'll stick to the main question:

What value does extended AppleCare add to a system at resale? The cost of the extended coverage is quite high... do buyers actually pay higher prices for systems under warranty... at least enough to make the extended warranty cost worthwhile?

In other words, if I am not planning on owning my computer for the full 2 years of added coverage, in effect I'd be sharing the cost of AppleCare with the future buyer. But does the typical buyer value the warranty enough to pay a fair share of the added warranty cost?

The risk to me of not having any warranty coverage aside, I would like to know what you all think on this matter from a buyer's perspective. Hypothetically speaking, on a 1.5 year old PowerBook, would you be willing to pay $300 more than the going price for an identical machine without warranty? If not $300, what price would you be willing to pay?

[ November 30, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: jkojima ]

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
you should get the applecare.

you should be able to recoup most of it if you sell soon, or a portion of it depending on how late you sell.

i think it's crazy not to have an extended warranty on a powerbook.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it really depends on the buyer, and the circumstances of the sale. If you're planning to sell on eBay then it would sell for more than an equivalent mac, because the winner would know that if there is anything wrong with it he can get it fixed for free, if you plan on selling it locally and letting the buyer inspect it first, then it might not make much of a difference.

I know when i buy something i have a set limit that i'm willing to spend, I would prefer a warranty, but if it's not within the limit, then I go without it.

hope that helps :D

Cam

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Applecare on a portable is a good idea but we recommend doing towards the end of the first year. That way you can assess how trouble free your unit has been and also decide if you are keeping it or perhaps trading it.

By deferring the decision you have a bit better flexbility.

On towers extended Applecare is not likely worthwhile unless you have an Apple LCD in which case it's a very good idea.

Yes it does add value on trades and resale to answer the question directly. As a reseller bringing your unit in on trade I will always pay more for a unit with warranty and in the case of TiBooks we ONLY take those with extended Applecare because of their failure history ( mechanical ). :cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well that's not a very positive or 'up' endorsement for the little TiBook... ;)

Couldn't resist :D

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
The ALUMINUM Powerbook we have on special is not a little TiBook. :D

That's WHY Apple changed.
There never was a 12" TiBook. :cool:
Care to edit ;)

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
macdoc, I am still "stunned" by the price of Applecare for my 12.1" Al Powerbook. At fully 20% of the purchase price, I think it is outrageous. ($539)

If something did go wrong, would it be $539 to repair?

Other than the motherboard failing, I can't think of another component worth that much, except perhaps the display?

Do you still think it is a good idea, or is the 12" so new, there is no track record to compare it to?

Cheers

·
Registered
153 Posts
Macdoc do you mean you can buy applecare after you have bought a portable? I thought you could only get applecare when you buy the computer not after. Is there a time limit? If this is the case I would have waited a year before buying applecareto extend the warranty.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
New laptops come with one year hardware warranty and 90 days phone in troubleshooting.

Applecare is an extended warranty that adds 2 years to the 1 year that apple gives you for hardware and gives you a full 3 years for phone support.

In order to take advantage of applecare you have to purchase it within the first year (the free year apple gives you)

You cannot buy applecare for the laptop once the first year that apple gives you is up.

So NO. You don't have to buy the applecare with the purchase of the laptop originally

HOWEVER...If you want to CALL Apple regarding any hardware troubleshooting AFTER 90 days after the purchase of the computer you MUST have purchased applecare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.