ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My TimeCapsule has been having some issues lately, was suffering from seemingly randome drive/network disconnects for the last couple weeks, then last night it started performing very slow, both for local and internet data transfers content streaming from my iMac to iPad was having to stop and rebuffer, even though the connections were showing strong signal strength to the iPad and connected at 65Mbit/sec (iMac is hardwired). I decided to try giving it a reboot to clear this up, and now it won't even pickup a valid ip from my ISP via DHCP. I've already checked that the ISP isn't causing the problem as it works fine when plugged directly into the iMac.

Any suggestions for troubleshoting? At this point I've narrowed it down to the TimeCapsule being the problem but about the only solution I can think of is to try a factory reset. But I'm in the process of coping the data off the internal drive before I attempt that (I know it's not supposed to wipe the internal drive but I'd rather not take any chances).

It had been working fine up until pretty recently. And while I don't think it should behave this way it seems to me that the decreasing performance somewhat correlates with the rate at which the internal drive is filling up, though the SMART status on the drive is showing as verified I'm kinda thinking that if you have too many files on the drive the built in fileserver might start to get bogged down and slow down the performance of the rest of the machine...

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
if you are not getting an ip address from your ISP dhcp servers, you might want to reboot your cable modem too.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no cable modem to reboot, I plug directly into the wall. (Building is wired with Ethernet, and ISP equipment is down the hall in the utility closet. I'm pretty sure it's a Cisco managed switch/router type device). In anycase as other devices (imac and an old netbook) pickup a valid ip via dhcp fine when plugged directly into the wall, I'm pretty sure the issue is on the time capsule side of things.

I'm still waiting for the files to copy from the internal drive to an external before I do a factory reset. As an aside copying 1.6tb of files is slow... :(

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
sorry, i assumed you had a cable modem since you were using DHCP.

It is also probably more reliable to get an airport extreme and then a 1 or 2 disk NAS device, such as QNAP

my 5 cents (they are phasing our the penny haha!)

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already have a 2 disk NAS from western digital, it works... sort of... performance is also an issue with it...

I've been able to get the timecapsule to work by manually specifying the ip address and server info that my imac is picking up via DHCP, but it still won't pickup the same info via DHCP, even after a hard reset... may need to give the ISP a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
394 Posts
teksavvy perhaps?

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
back up the time capsule and reformat the drive - factory reset it..
check to make sure it has the latest firmware..

I had issues with my time capsule.. it was under an apple recall. they replaced it for me..

if your 'wall' is a direct connection from an ISP.. test that with your laptop or desktop.. turn off wifi - plug into the wall and see if it work without issues..
if so you have your answer the time capsule.. if not.. go the down the hall and knock on the door.. :)

one last question how old is your time capsule?

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 95% sure the issue is with the TimeCapsule, as other devices work properly when plugged directly into the wall. The thing that has me perplexed is that when I set the ip Manually it works(sort of), it just won't pick up a valid one via DHCP. It also won't share this manually set IP address and will insist on distributing a range of public ip's (only some of which seem to actually work).

Multiple factory resets haven't worked, I'm reticent to format the internal timecapsule drive but I think that's my only option left, I have almost backed up all the data from it (1.6TB of filetransfers takes awhile) and will proceed with this when it's done.

The TimeCapsule is about 8 months old. It is a replacement unit I got when the internal dive on my old one failed. Anyone know the warranty policy on replacement units?

And no not Tecksavvy, Fibrestream.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
90 days on warranty replacements (or the length of the original warranty, whatever is longer).

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
replace your unit quickly.. before warranty is up..
I have a time capsule.. I have never used it more than backing up my wife's laptop..
I never trust HDs [have multiple drives with back ups for that reason ].. they will always go bad.. also with time capsules it is worse as the unit is sealed and you can not replace the drive..
Most NAS have open drives now, easy service..

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually took my old one apart and took the hard drive out which is what had been causing the issues I was having with it, it wouldn't boot with the failed hard drive (though it booted fine with no hard drive at all). It isn't too bad, most trouble I had was removing the rubber base, which was very solidly glued on.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
great links.. I will do so if and when the drive fails..
BTW - the issues i had with my unit before i replaced it was bad logic or power supply
it would restart then led to no power at all.

Yes, the hard drives can be replaced or upgraded and work in most devices, but only if and when all other needed components are working. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
Yes, the hard drives can be replaced or upgraded and work in most devices, but only if and when all other needed components are working. ;)
Which brands work best? Seagate or WD?
-1.5 or 3 or 6GB/s drives?
-5400 or 7200 rpm

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
I have a tendency to use the WD Black 7200 RPM drives. Normally they also come with a 5 year warranty which is longer than most, but the last one I got from OWC (macsales.com) for a very good price has a much shorter warranty. Apparently OWC buys them in bulk from WD and so they get treated as OEM drives and it's up to the seller to set the warranty, not WD.

And 3 GB/s suite me fine as that's all my older Macs support, but 6GB/s would also work as long as the price is OK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts