Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Thanks for the link. I've always thought that the SmartCar was one of the neatest designs ever for a car...I wonder why they don't market them in North America. It's can't be because of emission standards...maybe they're poor performers in cold weather.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably because:

a) SUV's are the fastest growing market segment and all the manufactures make a huge profit on them.

b) you would have to be Superman to survive a run-in with the aforementioned SUV

c) the European cars generally don't make the cut on our crash requirements. We tend to drive faster and have more accidents, I believe.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I e-mailed this company a couple of years ago asking when they're coming to Canada. At that time Mercedes Benz didn't know it they were going to sell them in Canada, too bad.
Smart cars are made by Mercedes.
I think the reason for not bringing in the Smart car and any other of the cool looking small cars from Europe and Japan, is because most Canadians would rather pollute the air with their SUV's and over powered Luxo sedans than to drive something they really need.

·
Registered
63 Posts
c) the European cars generally don't make the cut on our crash requirements. We tend to drive faster and have more accidents, I believe.
Haha, if youve ever been to europe you'd know that they drive MUCH faster than any americans...and also they tend to drive much safer-common sense is safe in their perspective, not slow speeds. right, apple laptops tommorow...blahbloah

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ive seen a few Smart Cars around TO. Daimler Chrystler should be ashamed of themselves for not offering them here in NA.

808KIK

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
A Smart wouldn't survive the Montreal potholes! (it would probably disappear in them...)

It's a fun city car. There may be a market for downtown cruising in the open top one.

Regarding crash safety, you'd be surprised at the actual tests... Beyond the obvious (Volvo, Saab), you would find for example that EVERY current Renault passes the 5 star rating, including the very small Clio. A far cry from the old R5 rustbucket... Incidentally, the Chrysler Grand Voyager is considered unsafe and ranks lowest in terms of safety of ALL people carriers sold in Europe.

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
European roads are tighter ( not as wide ) and cars MUST handle better plus the speeds are much higher. We cruised at 160 in the Mercedes diesel and were always blown off by the Diesel VWs ( diesel is so much cheaper that saving fuel by going slower is marginal ). That VW high tech diesel is awesome. The acceleration on the Mercedes was such that I didn't realize I was in a clacker until I saw the Gazoil note on the fuel cap.
With the narrower roads and higher speeds and stiffer suspension I was as tired on a 3 hours drive as on a 6 hours drive in the Windstar but I went a fair bit farther and cities are not as far apart.
Drivers generally move over and you don't get "clumping" around police cars which are rare.
Travel costs despite much more expensive fule were about the same as in NA because the cars were so much more fuel efficient. High quality diesel available everywhere.
City driving could sometimes get....shall we say..invigorating. :D
But then so is Toronto at times and LA

Parking in most places in Europe gives your 3d skills a work out. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I take it that you've never experienced Rome by car!

·
Premium Member
30,950 Posts
Rome by car

Reminds me I was travelling out of the Lake District in the south of Switzerland and had a choice to go south into Italy or west to France, I was istting just inside the northern Italian border where the driving is well somewhat civilized.

So I pulled off and ate lunch in the car and happened to notice a little drama playing out near by.
An obviously timid or perhaps even NA tourist driver was at a stop sign trying to cross the main route.
WELL that was a good reason for every driver coming either way to make SURE said timid one stayed put. Accelerating as necessary to close off any gap.
After a 1/2 hour of this, having finished my lunch and relaxed.......I headed WEST.
As far as I know - that driver may STILL be trying to get across the Italian highway cuz he for sure hadn't moved when I was watching :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts