Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to bite the bullit and jump into the wireless pond.
Would like to know what I will need to do so.
I use sympatico highspeed
g4 Tibook 867-no airport card osx.2.6
pismo -no airport card os 9

Price is a definite factor as is ease of setup.
Any advice is appreciated.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
You'll need an AirPort card (as low as $99 pre-owned) in your Powerbook G4 and/or Powerbook G3 (none of your Powerbooks can hold a AP Extreme card). You'll only be able to use 802.11b standards, however, if you an Apple AirPort card. Then, you'll need an AirPort base station (AP or APE base station, doesn't matter, APE base stations are backwards compitiable - 802.11b and 802.11g), or a wireless router that supports 802.11b wireless networking standards for your Powerbook(s) to connect to.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i just bought a wireless d-link wireless router after returning a defective SMC one. i picked it up for about $130 or so at work (futureshop) and it works perfect.

just plug it in series with everything and it just works.

i'm currently typing this on a wallstreet running 10.2.8 and i gots a macsense wireless pc card in my living room without wires.

there are always some little hiccups here and there, but it works

so alls you need are a couple of wireless cards (i picked em up at $130 or so) and the router.

it's not cheap (well, a wired one would always be cheaper) but it's soooo cool.

now if only i can get this wallstreet battery to get better time, i'd be set! (i'm getting about 20-30 mins)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Outside of the thread that was recommended, I would suggest price shopping. The wifi router prices are dropping faster that the Bush support for the war (now) ;) no, seriously though, you can get them pretty cheap now dude... new/refurb'ed w/ warranty.

You'll have the most fun. :D

H!

·
Registered
535 Posts
A quick question. Are you able to set up your Ti as the server like you can a desktop? With an airport card, my desktop is able to share the internet and files without a router. This could be a solution for the time being until you decide upon a router. Obviously the internet connection needs to be connected to your Ti.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yes, there is a setting to share your internet connection on the powerbook, same as a desktop Mac. If you have the money, though, it is definitely much more enjoyable to untether both machines. It really isn't too expensive with good routers selling for <$60 these days
and either way you have to put Airport cards in both machines. Also, the Airport reception in the TiBooks is horrible, so it wouldn't make a good server.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the deed is done.
Purchased a d-link router 69$ and airport card last night. Tonight I have the joy of setting it all up and walking out on my deck(I don't care how cold it is ) to enjoy the freedom.
Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well you are in for a treat! If your experience is like mine you'll soon find yourself wishing there was WiFi everywhere you go ;) Have a blast!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done

1 - 11 of 11 Posts