Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sales Video Developer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post and I am a very proud Canadian as well as a relatively new mac user (completely converted and loving it for over 1.5 years now).

My question is about Time Machine.

I produce marketing and sales videos for a living and have a helper that uses a PC (crazy I know). I am considering purchasing a new mac before too long and was thinking about giving my macbook pro to my helper, and using the new machine myself.

The question is, can Time Machine turn my new Mac into an exact working copy of this current machine I am not now, including all software titles etc. that I own (Adobe CS3 Suite etc.)? I know that may sound a bit of a sketchy question, but my intent is not to pull a fast one on Adobe or any of the other licensed software I own, however, for example, I know I am entitled to run the Adobe suite on two machines under one license so was wondering exactly how Time Machine would handle that sort of thing. When the Time Machine restoration was completed on my "new" machine, would the Adobe software simply ask me for a new serial number? If so, that is fine, I am just curious.

Whatever insight anyone can provide is much appreciated.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but wouldn't this be a major problem for companies like Adobe, where people could easily use licensed software on multiple machines? :eek:
No, it isn't what you are thinking. I have Photo Shop CS3 on my MacBook Pro and on my Mac Mini, but only one license. If I want to use it on the Mini, it must be turned off on the MBP and vice versa. It recognizes a second copy when two machines are on the same network, or hooked to the internet and will not allow both to be used.

While it is on your external HD (on Time Machine), it is simply backup and cannot be run from that HD so it is dormant.

All you might have to do is re-enter your code so you can run Adobe on both machines since you already have the dual license, (and maybe not even that).

·
Sales Video Developer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To confirm

So to confirm...

I can replicate my current macbook pro onto another one, give my current one to my helper, and if I enter new authorized serial numbers for all the software, I have successfully increased my production and converted another PC user to mac? ;)

·
Sales Video Developer
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks and forgive me

Thanks and forgive me, I'm still learning all the time just how superior Mac's really are, though I was convinced as soon as I booted mine up the first time ;)

Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Does the OS effect the Time Machine restoration? Such as can data be backed up on a machine with an older OS than the destination machine and vice versa?
You're backing up, it's the same OS, and no it's not bootable but you can restore anything and everything from it.

Here's what I did when I got a Time Capsule (i.e. wireless router with hard drive): I ran Airport Utility, I set it up as my wireless router, I ran Time Machine and set it up as my backup destination, Time Machine took over, and has made hourly backups since. That's it, except that you are prompted to password it which is a must.

A few times I've needed a file from a week or month ago that I deleted. Found easily.

I do recommend also having an external drive that you can turn into a bootable clone. For that, use an application like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

·
Registered
335 Posts

time machine is very handy. I used to have a hackintosh and I made it so that time machine would backup to a second partition on the same drive. Not useful for alot of people but it was mainly so if I deleted a file I could get it back again (I have a habit of doing that). I beleive when you insert the install disc for the OS it gives you the option to restore from a time machine backup which means the backup doesn't need to be bootable. If you wanted to do it a bit faster (I have heard that time capsule transfer rates are slow it may take days to install the OS over the network, not sure if that is just for backups or for reading as well though) then get a cheap external hard drive enclosure, put your 2.5" drive in it, hook it up to USB and boot from that drive, then use carbon copy cloner to clone it quickly to your new mac, take the hdd out and put it back in the old mac.

·
Registered
335 Posts

or it also just occured to me, I am not sure if this will work but perhaps someone who knows can chime in, you may be able to put your current laptop in target disc mode, hook it via firewire to the new laptop, boot off the old laptops harddrive, and then use carbon copy cloner to clone the drive to the new one without even having to get an enclosure all you would need is a firewire cable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.