1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Thanks for posting the solution.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
With about 200 GB on a 480 GB SSD my TM backups take around five minutes as I only connect the external once each day. It seems normal to me, but 30 seconds to a minute would be nice. I try to stay away from the terminal, so I think I will live with my situation.

·
Premium Member
15,399 Posts
Nice fix solution but... doesn't that root .fseventsd directory get re-created when another volume is connected and mounted including hard drives, flash drives of even memory cards etc?

Maybe another solution would be to use the suggestion at:
.Trashes, .fseventsd, and .Spotlight-V100

or even some of those at an older Ars Technica page:
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: the Ars Technica review | Ars Technica

It seems the problem is still lurking. ;(

PS: I gave up using TM and all the problems it created I saw for many users I visited, if it was even working properly which was not usually the case, and now I just use CCC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks! Erasing the fsevents database made Time Machine speedy again!

Problem: On my Mac OS X 10.6.8 system, TimeMachine (TM) minimal runs — this is when almost no files change between consecutive runs — always took about 15 minutes as opposed to ~1 minute, which it had taken, when TM worked properly.

Investigation: Monitoring with the excellent and free GUI fseventer had shown me, that backupd always created a bunch of hardlinks for folders and files, which hadn't changed for months, at each time TimeMachine ran in the last months!

Even though the fsevents database and its contained files had a timestamp of the current day, the database seems to have been corrupted, carried along some very outdated info, months or even years ago, which caused the unnecessary copy/hardlink operations.

Solution: After having wiped /Volumes/*/.fseventsd/ TimeMachine ran once with a deep traversal as UUIDs did not match, but henceforth, all quick runs again only take ~1min, as opposed to those annoying ~15min!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts