Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will anybody volunteer to help me map what can and cannot be done between Mac and the rest of the world?

Let's take the case of a fully kitted Mac user with Panther and iSight and an XP user with MSN, Yahoo Mail, AOL, and NetMeeting and a basic USB webcam. If the user is in France he may also have Wanadoo instant messaging which looks like a shell that sits on top of messenger.

Case 1: Text messaging

Case 2: Audio messaging

Case 3: File sending

Case 4: One way video

Case 5: Two way video

(I assume that there is no case 6 around application sharing, whiteboarding, etc as can be done on JetMeeting).

Who wants to start? :eek: :D

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
4. AOL to AOL (or AOL-PC to iChat)
Text messaging ----Yes
Audio messaging---Sometimes
File sending-------Yes
One way video-----Unsure
Two way video-----Unsure

One way Video from Mac to PC doesn't work. Never tried 2 way or 1 way from PC to Mac but I assume it's a no go as well.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this.

Is the above iChat to MSN, yahoo, etc. or do I need to use MSN to MSN, Yahoo to Yahoo, etc. (and in that case how does the AV for Yahoo work?).

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
1. MSN
Text messaging ----Yes
Audio messaging---No
File sending-------Yes
One way video-----No
Two way video-----No

2. Yahoo
Text messaging ----Yes
Audio messaging---No
File sending-------Yes
One way video-----Yes (Mac or PC)
Two way video-----Yes

3. Netmeeting (doesn't run on a Mac)
Text messaging ----No
Audio messaging---No
File sending-------No
One way video-----No
Two way video-----No

4. AOL to AOL (or AOL-PC to iChat)
Text messaging ----Yes
Audio messaging---Sometimes
File sending-------Yes
One way video-----Unsure
Two way video-----Unsure

·
Registered
454 Posts
My wife wants to get an iSight to video conference with here sister who is on a PC.

Right now she can watch her sister who has a camera.

If she buys an iSight will that work? With the both be able to see and talk to each other?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
For video it has to be iChat to iChat or
yahoo to yahoo. The iSight won't change that.

iChat gives you audio, video and text. Yahoo just does video and text.

MSN and AIM don't support Video for Mac.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
There needs to be a good Mac to PC web conferencing with video solution. Was hoping iChat was going to be that. Apple should release iChat for the PC.. would help the sell iSights. They should be able to do that.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As we say here, this could well be the dog's bollocks!

Dowloaded tonight, see if I can get a couple PeeCee-ers onboard and will report back. Thanks Cuba. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dog's bollocks: London expression meaning the absolute best. Probably has its origin from the observation that dogs seem to prefer licking their privates above any other activity - nothing beats it... :D

I'm sure that Dr G. will disagree, but if we assume that London dogs face the same issues as London boys - indifferent food and girls - then licking one's balls seem like a reasonable alternative to both, provided you have the flexibility to do so....

A related expression is 'the greatest invention since sliced bread', but somehow it doesn't convey the same enthusisasm...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts