Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TiBook as we know it has apparently finally stopped shipping - setting up for the news that many of us have been waiting for. I was in an Apple retailer yesterday and one of the clerks mentioned it. Anyone with anymore details?? Looking fwd to it. :D

H!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
New Powerbooks? Yes! Yes!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah, just yesterday I went to the local Mac dealer looking for a 15" PB and couldn't get one 'till the end of the month. They said their distributor is expecting a new shipment on August 28 (for the 15" one anyway).
:D
-L4F

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I guess there's no real chance it'll be a G5,eh? :(

A dual processor G4 perhaps? With a new form factor? :cool: ;)

Any speculation on this?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
A new form factor??? The bloody thing is already wafer thin and sexy as hell! There isn't much form factor to reform in the first place.

Althought, it would be nice if they added Airport Extreme, Bluetooth and those awesome back-lit keys!!! :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
let's not get too excited here. it'll be a smaller version of the 17". no new form, no more bells and whistles than the current models. possibly dual g4s, but wouldn't that get super hot?

it will have:

- bluetooth
- backlit keyboard
- airport extreme
- 1 ghz G4
- up to a gig of memory

and let's hope for a price drop across the board!! i'd love a 12"/15" PB so i could retire my 12" ibook...

Phil

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Forget G5s in portables - at least until next year. That was just a completely unfounded rumour from the most notorious Mac world "entrepreneur" Jack Campbell on his totally bogus web site, MacWhispers.

The new 15" will be interpolated between the 12 and 17" machines which are real beauties. I'd expect a speed bump to 1.2 or 1.33 GHz since the current 15" machine is at 1 GHz. Or a price drop.

The 15" will just be a more affordable 17" (which Apple got sooooo right except for pricing out of many peoples range).
It's just a dream to use. I hooked up my 22" Cinema display to it to generate 2.9 million pixels of Quartz Extreme accelerated real estate. I get whiplash...... Oh, and during the initial phase of the power outage, seeing the keyboard instantenously light up as the lights died and the AC was interrupted almost made it poetic (although I did have to shut down a few hours later).

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Good assessment - we concur.
Maybe a speed bump on the burner

This aluminum chassis and backlit kb is a treat - everything nicely machined and fitted - the Ti always felt kludged and fragile. Good idea but mechanically flawed. This gen should be terrific :eek: :D

BTW what should we call these now.
eHBooks? The Americans will think we are saying Abooks but we'll know ...eh. ;)

[ August 15, 2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whatever this unit will look like, I'm waiting almost impatiently. I expect:

the new mono hinge (like the old PBs/new ALPB
backlit KB? Cool
Btooth? I'm with that.
It will surpass the 1Ghz mark fore sure.
The current TiBook scan do 1G of ram no??

The tibook is a great piece. No need for many changes in my eyes.

H!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,362 Posts
Steve Jobs might be able to confirm or reject this speculation. However, as my grandfather was fond of saying, "From his lips to God's ear."

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
They've been saying this every Tuesday since January... Eventually they'll be right. There is no confirmation, but nothing say otehrwise either.

As for the no longer shipping, thats not true. The retailer inventories have decreased but the Apple Store is still shipping the TiBooks in 1-3 days, but by changing the type of RAM it ups to 5-7 days. So either way no one is sure what is going to happen except for the people at Apple.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts