Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
archaicmac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Mac: OS 10.2.8. My Thunderbird email app stopped working.:mad: My 2 Q's are:
  1. Where can I download another email client for my OS that is not Thunderbird? (I tried downloading it again and it didn't work)
  2. How can I fix Thunderbird so it will work?

·
ehMac Genius
522 Posts
Define stop working. Maybe we can help you fix your problem.

·
archaicmac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In short: it quit working lol.

[JUSTIFY]a couple of days ago, I opened Thunderbird and it asked for my master password (as per usual) and then a white window appeared. The colour ball kept spinning. I could use other software on the Mac, but Thunderbird just wouldn't open. I quit the computer and restarted it, to see if that was the problem, but nope! I attempted opening it several times and each time it was the same thing - master password request then white window. It seems to be stuck right after I input the master password in. In short: it stopped working lol.[/JUSTIFY]

Define stop working. Maybe we can help you fix your problem.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am guessing that perhaps the preference file is corrupted. Move the preference out of its original location
<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.thunderbird.plist
then launch Thunderbird again. It would generate a new preference file and hopefully that would solve the problem.

·
archaicmac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same ol, same ol! :(

I trashed the Preferences for Thunderbird and reopened it. This time it didn't ask for a master password, but went straight to the white screen. XX) I need a new Mac, badly, but, sadly, cannot afford a new one, and I would rather go without a computer than end up with a PC! (piece of crap!).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here's another attempt, no guarantee that it would fix your problem.

There is a Thunderbird folder in your home folder:
<your home folder>/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/(alphanumeric).default/

In the last folder that goes by the name (alphanumeric).default, there are all your emails in your Inboxes and Sent folders along with email addresses etc. Move the Thunderbird folder out of its original location. i.e. the Thunderbird folder that has three items in there: Application Registry, Profiles folder, and profiles.ini

Delete the entire Thunderbird app and reinstall v.2.0.0.24. After the reinstallation, Thunderbird will generate a new Profiles folder with a new (alphanumeric).default folder.

Move all the files in the previous (alphanumeric).default folder into the new one. i.e. only the files inside the .default folder and not the folder itself.

Launch the newly installed Thunderbird to see if it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts