Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine to my surpise tonight as I pull up to my motel (Travelodge) in little old Swift Current, Saskatchewan (pop. not much, 16 437 says the map) and the marque says High Speed Wireless Internet : Here Now:

I almost wet my pants......
(I have been forced to use AOL dialup for almost 3 weeks)

So I register at the front desk and inquire about the access. The girl shows me a PCMCA card and a CD that I must use to get connected. ???????
I didn't bother to check compatiblitity and didn't continue the conversation with the clerk. I just said ..."if I'm interested I will let you know"

Got to the room, didn't even kick off my shoes just flopped the Pismo on the desk and opened it up.........

Tick, Tick the tension builds.......

Airport menu icon turns from grey to full black!

Booya! I'm in and connect to the WLAN Network, now do I have access to the internet. Damn straight that how I am writing this.

Now on to that Java and 10.2.8 update.

I am so flippn' happy I could cry!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hotel printing would be very convienient.

I am sure it is easy to set up, all you need is the printer on the network.

Here is what I do on the road. Not a simple deal but it works.

Make my document in a form that I can read in OS 9.
Boot into OS 9
Open document and fax document with Global Fax.
Pick up my fax at the front desk.

Most of the time the item has been shrunk a little.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On closer look at the list of Hotels, I am stuck that these are expensive places:
Hilton Garden Inn
Doubletree - Key West FL
Radisson Lexington - New York NY
Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville, Toronto, ON.
Hyatt Regency New Brunswick NJ
Royal Sonesta - New Orleans LA

The thing that impessed me is this is kinda B or even a C Motel.

$54 + tx a night, not a $180 a night Hotel.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It always suprises me when I hear about people who don't have DSL; but then I remember where I'm living.

You've been able to get hispeed anywhere in Saskatchewan for a while now; I had a cablemodem in '95 and DSL's been available in Saskatoon and Regina since '96 (apparently, according to Gartner Group, the world's first DSL network. Go figure).

A company called Image Wireless (headquarters: Yorkton, SK, pop 8,000) has been offering it (and a hundred TV channels) to any farmhouse since '96 over microwave.

Anyway, SaskTel is now working on connecting communities of between 1,000 and 5,000 people. Supposed to be done by 2005.

[ September 26, 2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Make my document in a form that I can read in OS 9.
Boot into OS 9
Open document and fax document with Global Fax.
Pick up my fax at the front desk.
Just think about how happy you will be when you ditch that process under Panther...with faxing built right into the print menu!! :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
Heart, yes those are the showcase hotel printing locations.
If you want to try printing using IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) from OSX first find out what sort of printer they have, and its IP address then go to
cups admin and poke around a bit and see if you can print to it from CUPS.
The device URI should look something like (IP address will differ) http://192.160.22.33:631/ipp/port1

This is how I print from OSX at the office directy to a HP2100 laser on port 631 or port 80. Once I get a network adapter for my printer at home I'll be able to print straight to home from work! Kewl! Imagine Script Kiddieette's surprise!

Lots more info at
mac osx hints

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I grew up in Swift Current, Speedy Creek (or Rapid Raisin) as we used to call it, and am pleased to hear they are abreast of technology. Next time I return to spruce up the parents and grandparents graves, I'll be sure to stay at the Travelodge. Thanks for letting the board know about it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Heart,
I live in 'Speedy Creek' and I didn't know that Travelodge had high speed. Heck, I think High Speed is fairly new to the whole city

Kidding of course, but thanks for the coverage.

Boomer

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Mmmm...desktop faxing.
I too look forward to the day when I can give the big heave-ho to my stupid fax machine.

Just think about how happy you will be when you ditch that process under Panther...with faxing built right into the print menu!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts