Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I want to respond to what was a seemingly good debate, the thread was locked! So here's what I have to say about the Apple "whiners and complainers". I hope the message was well received this should not be a PC vs Apple debate, because we all know there's a place for all platforms in the computing world.

As we draw ever closer to a MacWorld event, the "whining & complaining" gets a little louder... OK, it roars!

I find it humourous that so many become riled up over the state of affairs with Apple's hardware, when it's likely only a very small percentage of users will ever need/use the performance the rest are crying for. In the business arena, only a select few large companies keep up to date yearly with their hardware, and then, only on a rotating basis. Small to medium size service bureaus in my industry (design & print) tend to "get the most" out of their systems as part of an intelligent means of budgeting... therefore, hanging on to "older" equipment for lengthy periods of time. I, myself, have just recently purchased a DP867 for my printing business, and only after reaching a limit as to what was practical to spend/waste upgrading older hardware. This is the first new machine I've purchased in 5 years, although I did upgrade 2 Powermacs with processor upgrades (to 400MHz/G4).

Who are the Apple users that "need" the kind of power one could only imagine a "Dual G4/2000MHz" would bring to the table? Is there really anybody out there that finds a DP1.25MHz slow? Does the new architecture of the new line of towers honestly bog down someone's production environment?

I think we, the Apple elitists, are becoming nervous because the other platform has finally caught up to the horsepower the G4 has been providing. Yes, it's been a while for this particular processor... but why change a good thing?

I would suggest that Apple's lack of supplying a mega-processor is hurting only a very select few within industries that need the power. The rest are gamers and "sport" users, whom I cordially invite to make the move to "the other side".

Why do most of us continue to purchase and use Apple products? Because they work... and very well!

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
A very well stated point. I do illustration work and do need power. However, buying a used G4 has satisfied this need. Any more would be overkill. I think Apple is doing the right thing and have faith that there will be a surprise at Macworld SF. :D
Robert

PS The reason we need more power/faster Macs is so "bleeding edge" people will buy them and sell their "older" Macs. Thus we normal users get to buy a slightly used Macs for less. :D
:cool: :D :eek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good perspective Mississauga. I work in the design and print industry too, and I try to keep my hardware going for as long as is sensible based on the financial investment. For the seconds of time a new, faster processor saves me, I'd rather save the $3k and take a holiday, or at least be able to get up from the desk for a minute. By the time you factor in a telephone call, or getting a coffee, any extra time gained from that elusive faster processor, will be lost. I'll take the stability over 1/2 seconds of speed gain.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Just when it was getting good, too. I think ehMax thought the thread was going to turn into a "Mac is better than PC" or vice versa flame war. Better safe than sorry. ;)

This is how I Apple's "slow" processors: Maybe we don't have 4 GHz Macs going around, but can I ask "Why do we need such speed?" Right now, the top end Mac at 1.25 GHz can play every Mac game available with speed and run every Mac application ever built for our platform. I think us Mac users just look at ourselves so badly because our competitors are so high above us. Truth is, if our G4 does everything we need it to do, then do we really need 3 GHz faster than it already is? To finish, I agree with Mississauga on that.

Opinions welcome on this.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Lars wrote:
"This is how I Apple's "slow" processors: Maybe we don't have 4 GHz Macs going around, but can I ask "Why do we need such speed?" Right now, the top end Mac at 1.25 GHz can play every Mac game available with speed and run every Mac application ever built for our platform."

Indeed! As a Mac user, I don't actually *need* a faster processor. Besides, less is more! War is peace! Ignorance is knowledge! Freedom is slavery!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Of course, needs are always the exact opposite of wants. You don't need a faster processor, but always want one, anyway. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
We do digital video work, so the faster the better. Ram does have a lot to do with how speedy things are.

It would be nice to see some redesigning of the chips themselves. The G4 series is getting to be like the slot 1 pentium processor time for a new chip.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I don't think speed is the problem and I don't think people whine because they aren't happy with the speed. I think the problem is the price we pay for the performance and that we can't see convincing a PC user to buy a Mac for that price/performance. Hey, I'm happy with my current Mac, but I can't see PC users coming to the Mac platform with the current price/performance of the G4 PowerMacs (I'd never personally buy an iMac or eMac). Many people would like to see Apple Macs alot farther ahead in the price/performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts