ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was stuck waiting for a long train to slooooooooooooowly pass. Turned off the engine, locked the parking brake and took a few snap shots.

Now there was a lot of graffiti and much of it was unfinished or of poor quality but there were a couple of cars that were truly impressive. One pictured here along with an almost unblemished car.

Now generally I would like to see graffiti "artists" locked up. Especially true when they deface grave-sites or well maintained public/private property.

OTH given the choice between looking at a rusty railroad car and a work of art like the ones pictured below and I certainly prefer the tagged car.

So what do other ehMacers think?
Train_2.jpg

Train_1.jpg

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
1. I believe some urban areas (occasionally) offer designated tagging surfaces, offering a legal outlet for the legitimate artists out there.

2. If I ever "go postal," it will be because the train that is theoretically crossing has come to a full and complete stop once too often (I have two crossings on my way to work each day).

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
When I remember to take my camera in the car, the battery is usually dead. I think the tagged cars do look better than the untagged ones. I wonder how the railways and other owners feel about the painted cars? I bet they don't like the liability issues involved with people painting them in the dark etc., on railway property. I vote with eMacMan, paint them all, but do a nice job.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Personally I hate all graffiti. No matter how good or bad it looks, the fact remains that these vandals are defacing property that does not belong to them. How would you feel if someone painted up your garage door or your car overnight?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I don't have a problem with good graffiti but I draw the line at mindless, ugly tagging.

I see the freight trains outside my window everyday. Some of the diesel engines are painted up too. There's some good art on a few of the cars. Makes me think this wasn't a rush job in the dark but rather sanctioned art by the car owner to cover up and prevent tagging.

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a problem with good graffiti but I draw the line at mindless, ugly tagging.

I see the freight trains outside my window everyday. Some of the diesel engines are painted up too. There's some good art on a few of the cars. Makes me think this wasn't a rush job in the dark but rather sanctioned art by the car owner to cover up and prevent tagging.
Either that or cars that remained parked on an unattended siding for several days.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I don't agree with people marking any properties. While I do find it impressive, it is damaging peoples property, and approving of some and not others only encourages the problem. I wouldn't want my car or house tagged because someone thought it was well done.

I do think graffiti artists can be extraordinary, but it still isn't right.

·
Premium Member
42,306 Posts
Not your property? No permission? Great new invention--paper!!

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I think public designated areas are a good idea. They provide an outlet, then when police catch them defacing private property, they've got nothing to whine about, whether it is warranted or not. They can't complain "there's no where to express myself to the public, blah blah blah"

·
Registered
586 Posts
The people place this graffiti are taking a great risk. On my way to work (by train) there is an old set of M2 rail cars (photo to come) sitting on a siding which are used for parts, this siding is right along side a very active track and someone still took the time to do a decent graffiti job. If someone had tried to pull this off at the wrong time they could have ended up dead. It happened in MA this week RAILROAD.NET • View topic - Man hit by LSL in Worcester, MA - 8/2

·
}<-('o')-
9,653 Posts
There is a fine line between art and vandalism when it comes to graffiti. I have to admit that I do like some of it and will photograph the good or interesting pieces. There is an incredible amount of it here in Portugal and Spain. For the most part, I'm glad to see the artists are not disfiguring the historical buildings. I have however, spotted the occasional ugly tag. It makes me angry.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Personally I hate all graffiti. No matter how good or bad it looks, the fact remains that these vandals are defacing property that does not belong to them. How would you feel if someone painted up your garage door or your car overnight?
I agree with andreww one hundred percent on this one - if it isn't your property, don't touch it, regardless of good intentions.

·
Premium Member
42,306 Posts
I agree with andreww one hundred percent on this one - if it isn't your property, don't touch it, regardless of good intentions.
Yep. This demand to have one's graffiti "publicly recognized" is juvenile and these fragile spray-bomb egos shouldn't be catered to.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
In my old neighbourhood, most of the graffiti was gangs marking their territory. Much like dogs peeing on a fire hydrant. No art involved there. My next door neighbour had it bad, I had nothing. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
No matter how many people 'harrrumph' over property being vandalized, it ain't gonna stop. Most of the cats doing this stuff are not interested in what a clutch of Ehmacers have to say. In light of that, I would rather see instances of graffiti serve the purposes of art and beauty than merely exist as the blight of [email protected] tagging.

Am I worried that my own house is going to get tagged? Nope. You have to have big 'hero' walls to attract the best artists - walls preferably in view of high-traffic corridors like subway routes and major arterials. And my neighbourhood takes pretty good care of itself - no gangs marking territory on my street, thankfully. Most of the stuff I see around me are 'legit' murals approved by the local authorities.

As for fragile egos, I've witnessed them in the highest of places, in the most 'respectable' lines of work. You don't have to be a graffiti hound to have ego issues.

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would hardly call them fragile egos. The art is out there but by its very illegal nature there is at best very limited recognition for the artist.

Railroad cars are rather unique in that they are mobile and the owners do absolutely nothing to maintain them cosmetically and as little as possible mechanically. We have one car with a frozen bearing that comes through about once a week and believe me, I find that far more grating than any graffiti painted on other cars on that train.

OTH tagging any where else really does bug me.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
A fragile ego is the flipside of a monstrous ego. People confuse the two all the time... must have to do with our own respective sense/magnitude of ego.

I agree about rail cars. Even the backs of brutally barren factory/warehouse spaces backing out onto railway lands. A riotous splash of colour beats the h3ll out of an endless succession of grey brick walls, especially in the dead of winter.

Those of of us in rural and small town locations won't likely have to worry about local graffiti. It tends to happen where it can be vividly witnessed by the largest possible percentile of the populace. Graffiti gravitates to where the action is.... it's not interested in being meek or polite or shy or reserved.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
No matter how many people 'harrrumph' over property being vandalized, it ain't gonna stop.
Actually, this is something that probably could be stopped. The fight against graffiti is nothing so futile as the 'fight against drugs', it's not an addiction. As long as fines amount to slaps on the wrist, though, it will not stop. A lot of the offenders here in Calgary are of the bored middle class, I might even say privileged, element. Come down on them hard; really hard. Nearest thing to scared straight. BTW, if you owned a business with a giant 'hero' wall, as I do, you'd not wax so philosophical on this wretched 'wall-p!ss' as someone described it so aptly.

·
Premium Member
42,306 Posts
They've got nano-particle paint so carefully formulated that graffiti falls right off it. Before long they'll have to beg for a surface to paint on.

·
Premium Member
17,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rail cars should still be available as canvases for at least 30 years after the product is released.:D

They've got nano-particle paint so carefully formulated that graffiti falls right off it. Before long they'll have to beg for a surface to paint on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts