Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,498 Posts
I came within 90 minutes of having to deliver a baby at the conclusion of one of my final exams. As this student handed in her final, with only one person left in the classroom, she started having contractions. Luckily, the university hospital is only a 3 minute drive from the Faculty of Education building (where I teach). The other student and myself got this woman to the front door of the emergency entrance, and the staff took it from there. This was at about 10PM and by 1130PM she was the mother of a healthy baby boy.

God bless little children!

·
Registered
363 Posts
that's the craziest thing i've read in a while

After leaving the train and heading for the stairs up to the station's main lobby, witnesses said, the placenta fell to the platform. Judge turned around, grabbed the afterbirth, put it in her shoulder bag, and headed upstairs.
do i really need to know that?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
incredible
I wonder if later in life, the baby's mom will remind him he was born on a train.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Is it possible the health care system in the U.S. could have played a part in her dilemma? Costs for a delivery are quite high when you don't have insurance.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
ErnstNF - interesting point, and a good shot in the dark I may add. Going to Hospital alone, refusal to get assistance... things can get downright horrible with no coverage. But her comportment was suspect to say the least - and maybe this is the kind of case that needs to be witnessed to affect some local/regional/federal change. Someone that train must have been alarmed by the whole scene! :eek: I would have been! Wrapping it in newspaper? Exposing a newborn to the most unsanitary conditions possible: a subway. whoa.... and the worst thing is that CAS will likely be on her until her situation comes to light or there's some clarity. :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
My question is: Why is this posted in "Anything Mac"?

I didn't see any mention of Macs in the story. Was the train's system running on Mac OS X? Was the baby born with a "Happy Mac" face?

; )

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I suppose it should be in the "Everything else" slot. This story makes me sad. I feel sorry for the mother.
Braintree is a nice suburb of Boston, not an urban environs, I did some training courses there many years ago. It seems surreal that things like this happen.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, this was the forum I was in when I posted it, didnt notice.

This is a really sad story, especially if her persistance of not needing help was due to the Health Care system.
Its a sad world when things like this happen

·
Registered
40 Posts
You would think that this woman would at least be familiar with delivery and post-natal care, considering the article indicated that she was a former nurse.

Apparently her other children, along with the baby, have been taken away, pending an investigation into her ability to care for them as a mother. From what I read in the paper, they've been living in a motel for quite a while.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,498 Posts
Say what you will about the Canadian medical system, but I am glad that I now live in Canada. For all of the pre/post natal care my two children have experienced, and my eye surgeries, with a total accumulated bill of $50, I have received far more than I shall ever contribute to this system via my tax dollars and donations to our local children's hospital.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like the mother handled the emergency pretty well- maybe it was embarassment/shame that made her want to get out of there so quick. And look what the attention got her- her kids taken away...
I recently read Nickled and Dimed and was suprised that the author found it necessary to live out of a hotel room (while earning low wages), because there just was no affordable housing. A good book, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts