Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Welcome to Lindows OS!

Nice iChat ripoff and iChat wanna-be. Lindows - another cheap, crappy OS to have laying around. Now available at Walmart! Biggest OS X wanna-be system OS I've ever seen. If their web site, www.lindows.com, rips the Apple web site.

And, LINDOWS!?! What kind of a name is that? :confused:

Give me a break... :rolleyes:

[Edit via Heart : Corrected link
]

[ July 02, 2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Heart ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Linux able to run Windows applications. MS sued, but lost. Supposed to be the operating system of the future as it combines the power of Linux with Windows.

They copied a lot of the new features, wow. They even have a compatability list featured on their site. And a "kind of" similar look of Apple's website. My guess is that the creator of Lindows is trying to bring in people from all sides.

EDIT: Forgot to mention WINE, I knew about it but forgot to mention how it even runs any of the Windows software
Not bad, but I'll be sticking with my Mac.

[ July 02, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Is everyone on here always this negative? (and ill-informed I might add)

First of all, any product that takes users away from MS Windows is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. Why bash a company that is working to improve the Open Source community?

Second, Lindows has been around for some time, and they are not trying to copy anything from Apple in my opinion. They seem to be using just a slightly modified Gnome window manager. Gnome has been around for a LONG time. Trust me, it's nothing like any Apple OS. They are not trying to copy Apple, they are trying to improve Linux.

Third, Lindows does not run MS programs. WINE, a software application (WINdows Emulator) that has been around for a long time, can sometimes run a few programs. Don't blame that on Lindows. It doesn't even come installed with Lindows! It's a separate download.

Lindows is nothing more than an installer with a pretty interface. Everything else, from the core OS, to the window manager, to the browsers, to the "ichat wannabe", are all standard Linux apps developed by the open source community.

A7

P.S. I do however think they ripped off the Apple web site.

[ July 02, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: a7mc ]

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Ummmm... so are people that run Windows emulation on Linux "Winers"?

Lindows is OK. Linux is OK. Windows is OK. Some people seem to think that a Linux sale is a Mac OS loss but I don't agree. Anything that counters the Windows Hegemony (TM) is good for Mac users since it will mean that diversity will exist and the lowest common denominator will not win(dows) out.

Apple has one specific and important advantage over the others - direct hardware/software control. With the G5, their lag in terms of systems architecture is essentially wiped out. Competition is good. Emulation is good.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not negative,we love macs.That's why we are here.

C'mon...really...Have you looked at the iChat logo?Compare them and tell me that it isn't a ripoff?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I love my Mac too.

But I don't use that as an excuse to bash other products because they aren't created by Apple.

Jwoodget said it best: "Some people seem to think that a Linux sale is a Mac OS loss but I don't agree. Anything that counters the Windows Hegemony (TM) is good for Mac users since it will mean that diversity will exist and the lowest common denominator will not win(dows) out."

Linux users are converted Windows users. Windows users are the ones searching for an alternative. They already have the PC hardware, but they want to get rid of Microsoft.

Enter Linux.

Not everyone can afford a new Mac right now. But everyone CAN afford to move away from Windows and onto Linux. Once they get away from the Windows dependancy, next time they go out to buy a computer, whenever that may be, they WILL consider alternatives like Apple.

And yes, I do see that the iChat logo is the same as their messenger logo. That does not make the entire OS a copy of OSX. Relax... it's one icon!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Anti windows works for me.

And I am relaxed,I'm talking about 1 icon.I never said that it was an OS(keyword) ripoff.
Just 1 icon.
So....relax,it's just 1 comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Sorry.
Confused your statement with Lars. Lars is the one that said it was a Mac OS ripoff. My bad.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lars is the one that said it was a Mac OS ripoff.
If you like at the Lindows OS interface screenshots, lots of it looks like Mac OS X without a doubt. That's why I mentioned that comment.

I didn't mean to make a full-fledged anti-Lindows thread but maybe I did!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, as they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :cool: Really, the iChat icon was just a modified AIM icon, so it's not as if a great, original idea was stolen or anything. ^_~

Anyway, I'd rather see Linux GUIs become more Mac-like than more Windows-like.
*ignores the fact that it's mainly modelled after Windows*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts