Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Archangel, I must confess I have never truly understood exactly what a "cookie" is, never mind if they are good or bad.

Does anyone have a "Reader's Digest" type version of a definition without all the formal computer language.

I just need to know if I should be concerned or not about them or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Archangel -

I too have an aversion to cookies...innocuous as most are, I still find them offensive.

I queried The Mayor about this very same topic a while back. The Mayor stated the cookies were originating from sites that "serve" avatars. Basically, a member draws his avatar from a site that has a bunch to choose from and that site applies a cookie to each one to see (presumably) where their avatars are being used. Nothing sinister, I would think. But disconcerting, at least the first time, to see happening on this board. Nothing you can do about it except block all cookies from the requesting address...

Sinc - do a Google on cookies and you'll get the info you need.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FLYNSQRL, I thought about one of my favourite sites and checked "How Stuff Works".

Sure enough, they had all I ever needed to know about cookies in layman's terms.

If anyone else is like me and wants to have a basic understanding of cookies, I highly recommend:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm

Now I REALLY don't know whether to worry about them or not.

Cheers.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is a result of my particular aversion to cookies. I know what they are and what they do but I still monitor them.
Is there a way of eliminating cookies from ehMac posts? I'm not talking about ehMac's but the ones that are part of somebody's post. If I go to their site, well, fair enough, but I'm still on the ehMac page.
It's not too bad yet but I can see a day when there may tons of cookies per page, for what?
It's nothing to lose hair over, just something I don't like.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sinc -

Excellent reference!

Persistent cookies bother me most. I just block cookies from all sites except those that:

a) don't work without accepting cookies but only if I really need to access that web site

b) all sites that I purchase product through (i.e. eBay, online stores)

Another issue you may or may not want to worry about, not so much with Mac-centric software/shareware/freeeware 'tho, are the "spyware" programs that are often found embedded/hidden within "adware" programs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts