Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of building an e-com web site to sell Mac parts in Canada.
Can anyone give some advice.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The only way to have access to Apple parts (read: service parts) to resell is if you're an AASP, but not even AASP's are allowed to resell parts as retail inventory. You'd need to create or have Apple make a specialized contract with you, which I doubt is an easy path to go down. If you have the time, patience, business experience, and desire, however, start by giving Apple a call. If you want to resell Apple retail products (non-service parts), you'll also require Apple Reseller Authorization.

If by "Mac parts" you're referring to non-Apple service parts (just third-party accessories), you'll need a Canadian supplier, such as Ingram, to purchase from, which then you can then resell to a customer base.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lars. I wasn't aware of what's unvolved.

Would the same apply to used parts? For example, I was thinking of a G4 desktop/powerbook, dissmantle it and sell the parts.

Similar to what people do on ebay.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Thanks Lars. I wasn't aware of what's unvolved.

Would the same apply to used parts? For example, I was thinking of a G4 desktop/powerbook, dissmantle it and sell the parts.

Similar to what people do on ebay.
Anybody and their aunt and uncle can do that--and they do.

And there are folks who buy and re-sell essentially new Macs and Mac parts, just outside of the normal supply chain.

It's "who you know."

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Why not just sell through eBay? To achieve even a tiny fraction of the reach of eBay, you would have to spend millions on marketing. Their seller fees are negligible in comparison.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I used to sell parts on eBay and was very successful doing it part time. You really have to do your research and constantly have to keep up with market prices though, but if you're committed and can scour the net for used hardware, you can make some decent bucks on the side.

However, I quit because Paypal kept allowing unscrupulous buyers to file chargebacks. I charged actual shipping costs and shipped overseas with Canadapost Airmail and never had tracking numbers, so sometimes people took advantage. Even when I had tracking info and insurance, Paypal always sided with buyers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
While I can appreciate the need to sell all of those computer parts on ebay, how I wish ebay would allow the viewer to deselect the various parts, silicon keyboard covers and used 250 MB rams from a general search.

Good luck with your sale Pylonman. I'll check it out if you post a link.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While Ebay has a huge audience, another option might be to open your own Ecommerce store.

Shopify.com is an hosted ecommerce solution that is very simple to use, free to setup, and they charge only 3% of sales.

You can check them out at Shopify.

Good luck!

I've been thinking of building an e-com web site to sell Mac parts in Canada.
Can anyone give some advice.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Nice ad.

While Ebay has a huge audience, another option might be to open your own Ecommerce store.

Shopify.com is an hosted ecommerce solution that is very simple to use, free to setup, and they charge only 3% of sales.

You can check them out at Shopify.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts