Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a newton,

I would like something to carry around phone numbers and appoinments in. (My ipod does this but I want more...)

Now here are the big kickers:

I would like to be able to send and recieve my email on it when I am out and about.

I am not sure how they can connect to internet. What options do they have? Modem? Ethernet? Wireless?

I would also like to run some sort of bible software on it. To read and quickly search it. (KJV and NIV are my two preferences to be specific). Does anyone know of any?

It would also be really nice if I had a model that could use the external keyboard as well as use grafitti. Whats the connection on these. Are they ADB? How far back the line can I go and still use a newton keyboard. Or does it have to even be a newton keyboard?

Hoe much memory would I need on one?

Does anyone out there know of any good newton sites.

Now that you guys now what I will be using it for, what model would you recommend. I have seen loaded 2100's with tons of software, a keyboard, tons of connectors and cables, leather cases, and more go for under $200 canadian on ebay. But what can get one that will do what I want for.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
If you're going to buy a Newton, don't mess around - get the 2100 or nothing at all. You'll need the PCMCIA slot and the Newton Operating System v. 2.0 in order to use TCP/IP and WiFi (802.11b).

On the other hand, you could buy my Newton MessagePad 110 with NOS 1.3, plus accessories, for a measly hundred bucks or so.... :D

M

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks CubaMark,

How much would I be looking at spending if got a 2100? I have been watching in ebay for a few days and found this one Does that price seem rigth to you guys?

Would a 110, 120, or 130 work for me, or are they painfully slow. Is it possible to install OS 2.0 on them? I would really like wifi, but it is not nessasary. Ethernet would be fine.

Also are they compatable with OS X or do I have to boot into OS 9 to install software on it?

Just out of curiosity, how many newton owners are there on ehmac? And what do you think of them?

I think the newton was a very cool project.It is to bad apple (morso steve jobs) canned it.

It seems as thought there is a lot to learn about these little things. I remember in using a emate about 5 or 6 years ago, but that has been my only experience with them.

Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to agree with CubaMark, for the best Newton experience get a 2100 or an updated 2000. From time to time, people on the newtontalk list have theirs for sale.

You can alsways check out http://www.jksalesinc.com/ They come recommended by people from newtontalk.net. The 149$ model is apparently the most popular.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Geez, Nick, you've really been bitten by the Newton bug, eh?

Prices for the 2100 - they vary a lot, depending on accessories and condition, of course. You're looking at over $250 for a good one with stuff.

The 110 won't go up to NOS 2.0. The 120 and 130 will, I believe, but that barely increases their functionality. The 2100 has TWO PCMCIA slots, which gives you lots of possibilities. Check out those links that Vox gave you - they're the key sites.

Ethernet ain't possible on anything that runs 1.3, unfortunately, which is why I'm looking to sell my MP110.

As for OS X compatibility, there are programs, like NewtSync, and NewTen, which give you OS X compatibility. I've managed to get our GPS (eTrex Legend) working with OS X, after a bit of a struggle. Best bet is to check out VersionTracker and run a search for "newton" for all the relevant, new applications.

OS 9 is easiest, since you can use any standard printer serial cable as an interface. With OS X, you need a USB->Serial converter, which tend to run upwards of $100 alone.

Newtons were / are cool machines. Wish they would release a new one... but the iPod seems to be morphing into more of a PDA every day, lessening the likelihood :(

ciao!
M

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've had a Newton 130 for a couple of months now and really like it. It is a bit on the slow side but it is usable. I can't get over how functional the handwriting recognition is, miles better than using that pitiful graffiti on a palm unit.

I'm looking to move to OS 10 next week and will try to incorporate the Newt with that transition. I'd say 130 is the minimum, but if you have the cash don't play around and get the 2100.

Does anyone know if my 130 with OS 2.0 can be connected to Mac OS 10 via ehternet?

Good luck findng a Newt and I'm sure you'll be amazed with the technology...people I work with can't believe this isn't something brand new! :cool:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with CubaNark. Don't get anything less than a 2100. The auction you were looking at is a stock 2000 (less internal memory) and will not function well as an internet device. You'll run of memory quickly.

When you buy a 2100 make sure that it comes with an AC adapter and the battery tray at the minimum. The AA rechargeable battery packs are getting pretty old and may not work that well. Having the tray is a good option so you can be mobile. I wouldn't worry as much if the 2100 comes with the serial cable (unless you have an older Mac) or the plethora of ethernet cards or modem PC Cards. These are relatively cheap to buy locally. The same goes with the bundled software - many titles are freely available at UNNA.

BTW, the AC adapter and battery tray are still on Apple's parts list so you can get them there if you have $$$

I love my 2100. Even went and got a "bare" second one for a backup in case the first dies. I think that the handwriting recognition is still unmatched and worth the money. Even if it seems like a lot :D

PS Try to get one with a pristine screen + bright backlight. The screen is huge compared to other PDA's and you may find scratches distracting

·
Registered
101 Posts
Still thinking about getting a Newton?

I just got one but haven't had a chance to really try it out and I am not sure that I'll keep it. I was just really curious about it... call it being smitten by technology. Unfortunatly money is an object and I realize that getting the newton was a little over my means.

·
Registered
22 Posts
sure, sure, tempt me into dragging my 130 and 2100s back out again... But, on that topic, how the heck would I connect it up to a G4 tower anyways?

(or, my soon to be arriving dual 2 G5 ;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great to see so much love for these things still.

I think these things are going to be the death of me. I could spend money on them forever. Not that is a bad thing

My wife thinks it is so funny how worked up I can get over a "old obsolete computer".
I tried to explain the valaue and cool factor but mesa think I am just re-convincing my self. However she just loves here ibook. Right now I am trying to convince her to get wireless.

Maybe ehmax, macDoc or heart can consider setting up a board just for OLD mac hardware. The stuff just wont die so maybe its time we honour it with a dedicated board. What do you guys think?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
Because old Newton threads should never be allowed to die...

TechEblog has a story today about an original MessagePad selling for $229USD (doesn't sound that far off the market, actually).

The site also has a great Newton video that I hadn't seen before!

M

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Well where's the link to the TechEBlog story?

Thanks for reviving a 3 year old thread btw. ;P

·
Video Media Mogul
448 Posts
Ummm... why not just get a palm pilot? The Palm Tungsten TX has wifi, bluetooth and will support WAY more software than a newton. Also, you can sync it w/ osx natively.
There's also TONS of bible software for them - alot are free as well i believe.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
dona83 said:
Well where's the link to the TechEBlog story?
Ummmm... it's that underlined bit of hypertext in my post, above...
dona83 said:
Thanks for reviving a 3 year old thread btw. ;P
As I said, Old Newton Threads should not be allowed to pass on... ;)

M

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
LOL at CubaNark.

This thread might just get me to retrieve that closeted Newton I have... Wifi you say?

Kami said:
I agree wholeheartedly with CubaNark. Don't get anything less than a 2100. The auction you were looking at is a stock 2000 (less internal memory) and will not function well as an internet device. You'll run of memory quickly.

When you buy a 2100 make sure that it comes with an AC adapter and the battery tray at the minimum. The AA rechargeable battery packs are getting pretty old and may not work that well. Having the tray is a good option so you can be mobile. I wouldn't worry as much if the 2100 comes with the serial cable (unless you have an older Mac) or the plethora of ethernet cards or modem PC Cards. These are relatively cheap to buy locally. The same goes with the bundled software - many titles are freely available at UNNA.

BTW, the AC adapter and battery tray are still on Apple's parts list so you can get them there if you have $$$

I love my 2100. Even went and got a "bare" second one for a backup in case the first dies. I think that the handwriting recognition is still unmatched and worth the money. Even if it seems like a lot :D

PS Try to get one with a pristine screen + bright backlight. The screen is huge compared to other PDA's and you may find scratches distracting

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey, it was an honest mistake. Funny how it comes up 4 years later... And I totally agree with CM, Newton threads must continue to live :)

Yep, Wifi and synching with OS X. Lots of good stuff still happening in the Newton community

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Hmm I have my MP2000 here, but I cant get it talking with OS X. Now I just use it to hold notes, but I heard you can sync an old version of MacJournal to it. That could be useful for me.

Regardless of what anyone says, my Newt's handwriting recognition is better than anything else out there. Perhaps that's because it actually learns the user's writing style. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts