Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this on TUAW.com this morning. Think Secret has ceased operations as part of a settlement with Apple. I stopped reading this site quite a while ago, but way back in my earliest days as a Mac user, this was near the top of my bookmarks.

Kinda sad to see them go, but I'm glad that the owner has been released from the death clutch of Apple legal weasels.

Think Secret - Apple, Think Secret settle lawsuit

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
For me, Think Secret was actually an asset to Apple.
It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that Apple continued on the path of new and innovative products while at the same time supporting their existing base.
Even if some of the rumours turned out to be false or the timeline was way off, one still has a general idea where Apple was heading as a company.

Having said that, I actually found Apple Insider better; I wonder if they're on the chopping block net.

Shrouding themselves in secrecy as Apple does is not always a smart move - I'm sure Apple knows that.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,299 Posts
Mehhh, you get your information illegally through informants that shouldn't be talking, you get caught, and you pay for it.

There's always other rumor sites...

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
sucks that Apple forced them to not exist though. It's really offensive that Apple did that.
Whoa...wait....who said *Apple* forced TS to close? There's been no indication of that and, if you look at what is written on the TS web site, Nick says he's "pleased". Doesn't sound "forced" to me at all.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Apple sure didn't think so.
It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that Apple continued on the path of new and innovative products while at the same time supporting their existing base.
Apple does that whether or not TS reports dirt on them.
Having said that, I actually found Apple Insider better; I wonder if they're on the chopping block net.
Not unless they do something stupid like TS did.
Shrouding themselves in secrecy as Apple does is not always a smart move - I'm sure Apple knows that.
Its worked for them up til now.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If by that perhaps you mean that Apple was able use Think Secret--creating a bogus product ("Asteroid") and letting it leak to TS so Apple could track down and fire a corporate mole. Once that was done, then there was just the small matter of dropping the lawsuit and letting a 20 year-old kid get on with his life.

But that's just all rumour and allegation, of course.
Apple Kills Think Secret: Publisher Nick Ciarelli Talks | Epicenter from Wired.com

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
ShawKing - I can't really relate to your comments.
For one, this lawsuit Apple launched against TS has been going on for several years - how can it have been a real issue for Apple if they didn't pursue it?
And what "dirt" did TS report that you didn't find elsewhere, the way I read it it wasn't so much dirt but rumours of new products coming down the pipe.
What stupid things did TS do that AppleInsider didn't?
What has worked for Apple is having a good product at a time when Microsoft faultered with their new OS. If Vista had given people a similar computing experience to OS X, Mac sales wouldn't be anywhere close to what they are right now - nothing to do with secrecy.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
If by that perhaps you mean that Apple was able use Think Secret--creating a bogus product ("Asteroid") and letting it leak to TS so Apple could track down and fire a corporate mole.
In your scenario, why would Apple need to pursue a lawsuit? They would have known who the mole was by the information that was leaked.

Conspiracy Theories are more fun when they actually make sense. :)

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
For one, this lawsuit Apple launched against TS has been going on for several years - how can it have been a real issue for Apple if they didn't pursue it?
Just because we don't see Apple in court every day, doesn't mean they weren't "pursuing" it. Lawyers bill hourly - the longer things drag on, the more they make. :)
What stupid things did TS do that AppleInsider didn't?
TS had displayed (and still does) this graphic:

You are not legally allowed to induce someone to break the law. That was one of Apple's arguments. AppleInsider isn't so dumb as to be so blatant. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.