3,882 Posts

Yikes!
Does that make me a pack rat?

-GW

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
whao... 26.

Never realized that I had that many. I have about 1/2 dozen that I never use - well not yet anyhow. Mail, Address and a few others...

·
Registered
507 Posts
21. More than that and I start to have the shakes. I'm by no means a clean freak, but excessive clutter makes me edgy. And I keep the dock REALLLLLLLLLY small.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
12. Just all I need, putting the Applications folder on the left side of the divider, saves the need, as I just control-click (or click-hold and wait forever) then choose the application as I stick all my apps in the Applications folder

There is no official way to disable the dock, but their are some applications out there that may help. Try a search on VersionTracker

·
Registered
141 Posts
15 apps, 4 folders. I'm not big on clutter either, but I still haven't found a nice replacement for my perfeclty organised OS9 apple menu....

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts

That's a neat trick there Chealion. I'm going to try putting my application folder and ctrl-clicking.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

I have a total of 17 items on my dock. I use Fruitmenu , which gives me access to a pull-down menu where I have shortcuts of applications, games, utilities, and my desktop or anything else I want to put up there.

James

·
Registered
379 Posts
To get rid of the Dock log in as root and go to the terminal and type:

cd /System/Library/CoreServices
sudo mv Dock.app ~/Documents/Doc.app

1st line directs to where Dock is located
2nd line moves a copy of the Dock to the Documents folder (to restore)

Log out and then back in again and the Dock should be gone.

to get the dock back, in the terminal type

sudo mv Dock.app ~/Documents/Doc.app /System/Library/CoreServices/Doc.app
Hit enter and log out and then back in again.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020116233144776&query=rename+dock

Or try the method here.
http://www.creativemac.com/cgi-bin/getframeletter.cgi?/2003/02_feb/tutorials/dockdead2030225.htm

-L4F

·
Registered
503 Posts
To get rid of the Dock log in as root and go to the terminal and...
Awesome! Thanks live4ever. I've been dreaming about this for some time, but didn't know it was possible.

Problem is, I'm a bit of a twit when it comes to doing these things. I've used the Terminal before without problems but, uh, what does "log in as root" mean?

And while I'm at it, what does "open as root" for applications mean?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I have 33 items in my dock.

Klaatu, with the method outlined for yo above you don't need to log in as root so don't worry about it.

When you enter the line "sudo mv Dock.app ~/Documents/Doc.app" the 'sudo' part of it temporarily makes you have enough permission to move the dock. It will be asking for your password before it completes the action though.

If you want, before you do anything else, type in 'sudo -s' in the terminal, and after it asks you for your password you will be enabled as root for the rest of the session in the terminal.

--PB

·
Registered
693 Posts
After seeing screenshots of other people's computer, one thing I have noticed is that some people have a helluva lot of things in their dock.

So here, the question:

Including the trash and finder, how many items are in your dock?

Me: 25

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
22, up the left-vertical side of the screen.

My Mac experience would be made SO much easier if we could only drag items from the desktop onto folders on the dock, and have a pop-up menu appear, enabling me to tunnel and drop. I hate having to control-click on the documents folder, navigate to the folder I want, click on it, let the window open, drag the file into the window, and close it.

Seems like a simple functionality... but nobody's bothered to make it work yet!

:(
M

·
Registered
438 Posts
I got 32 with my applications folder on the left side.... there was a time where i had a good 50 apps on it... wayyyyy toooo cluttered!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts