Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
A****aka and Mononoke Hime make a pretty good couple.

A****a ha nani suru?

I guess Japanese use the shi sound a lot, but most native japanese with romanize it as si anyway.

asita
sittake
asitaka
etc.

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
Sometimes you can't leave them unsaid, though:

Years ago, I had a student whose last name was F*k. I broke out in a cold sweat taking attendance on the first day of class--thinking to myself, "Please let it be pronounced 'Fook.' "

It wasn't.

We were on a first-name basis after that.

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
Might have been "Koontz" . . .

In my last district, the email address convention was first initial last name, all lower-case, with no space or underscore between. I wanted to contact a former colleague, a Mrs. Watt, whose first name started with a "T." I typed in her email address, looked at it, and decided to phone instead.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Might have been "Koontz" . . .
Au contraire… a friend of mine, from the roller hockey league, every time someone stumbled over his last name (Kuntz) which usually was pronounced slowly and trailing off to silence like you have mentioned, he would correct them to the proper pronunciation… a woman's most hated word. I am pretty certain that he didn't 'get it' and was just correcting.

The rest of the world pronounces it the more safe way…

Ironically enough he married a girl, a goalie in ice hockey. And a VERY good one at that. Her name Shelly. Though that was often changed to Smelly by the other woman in the league.

On a side note: if you think guys are bad for trash talking while playing hockey, you've never heard a competitive level woman's game. YEEEEEIKES!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I used to help moderate a Christian website that installed a word filter after the language in some of the posts got out of hand (mainly from griefers).

It proceeded to asterisk out Jesus, Christ, God and Hell in all posts. People weren't impressed.

·
Premium Member
42,902 Posts
My Grade 10 English teacher was so skittish, he wouldn't call a kid by his full name during attendance: the guy's last name was "Sundercock." He used to sort of rush through the last part and make it sound like "Sundrick."

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I get a giggle every time I email a customer of ours, her name is Susan Hartley, which isn't bad, but when you use the first initial/last name structure for company email addresses, it becomes "shartley". Anyone who has seen "Along Came Polly" will know what I'm talking about.

I also have a friend with the last name Salmon, he has 2 kids and I have yet to convince him to name his kids with that in mind. I think Pink is a beautiful name for a girl. ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I get a giggle every time I email a customer of ours, her name is Susan Hartley, which isn't bad, but when you use the first initial/last name structure for company email addresses, it becomes "shartley". Anyone who has seen "Along Came Polly" will know what I'm talking about.

I also have a friend with the last name Salmon, he has 2 kids and I have yet to convince him to name his kids with that in mind. I think Pink is a beautiful name for a girl. ;)
Shart.... :lmao:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.